Anyone Wearing String/Fishnet Underwear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Has anyone here worn what is called mesh underwear/fishnet underwear/string underwear? The open mesh design allows sweat to escape and allows venting . I saw one time where something was advertised as a MoD string vest...used in WWII!
Any user feedback and where does one get this stuff?
Monk

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have some and still wear it but it is very hard to find now.

I have wool net by Devold from Norway that is super. Poly net from 20+ years ago that somehow is real tight to wear now :lol: and cotton/poly sting from about the same time frame.

Wiggy's still list some but I have never tried them. This is the only place I could find and searching the web with "mesh underwear" can lead to some very interesting places.....This guy seemed to not show up there :shock:

fishnet.gif

http://www.wiggys.com/category.cfm?Category=2&StartRow=5

I would snap up any of the Devold wool net that I could find. My all poly stuff is very old and is very abrasive to wear, but works great in the summer for ventilation particularily under a pack. The cotton/poly stuff is actually good even though it is cotton it does not get the damp clammies that reg johns do.

I consider string underwear to be superior in many respects to all the new tech stuff, but I recently acquired a SmartWool top that is heaven. Very soft merino wool with non-binding sleeves and just about perfect weight.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have the Wiggys fishnet set. Jerry is a very controversial figure in the outdoors industry. People either love or hate his products. I personally love the product. His newsletter is well worth reading. Jerry is openly critical of many products including goretex and snugpak. I believe the classic fishnets are/were? made by Brynje of Norway and wool. I was unable to acquire any and bought the Wiggys. The nylon is a bit abrasive and I prefer natural fibers. It does work very well and is very easy to clean. Fishnets make a superb sleeping garment. I abhor polys. They stink and I always chilled from the retained perspiration. I've found the various fine wool products very good. If I was in need of a heavy arctic condition wicking layer, the fishnets under a set of wollens would be perfect. I've had mine over 2 years. Theres a small tear in the crotch and the knitted cuffs are a bit frayed. I've probably worn these a minimum of 300 times with nearly 100 wash cycles. www.wiggys.com

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for feedback and links and pic! I did get ahold of a cotton mesh tank top made in Sweden and the mesh idea does work! It also works under a cotton tee in the summer..you do feel a bit cooler! Agree on the poly issue and the stink factor!
Monk

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
For my sins I am a keen road cyclist. I always wear a synthetic string vest under my team top all the time. In the summer it's a sleevless light weight thing and then they go up in weights until I have a heavy long sleeved one for full-on winter. They are excellent, comfortable and highly effective. The cycling-specific ones are not cheap (£25-40) and don't come in "bushcraft colours". However, I always take one walking with me as they are brilliant for confort and temperature control.

Being synthetic they need washing a lot, but wring them out and they dry very quickly. They also don't make your nipples sore!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE