Anyone used these?? Diamond whet stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey folks
im in dire need of a sharpening implement for my knives, something small and light enough to be carried in my pack when out walking.
I was looking at a DC4 but they are a bit pricey.
I found these on the Bay and decided for the price they should be no harm trying them out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321114589790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Has anyone got some or tried them......how do you rate them?

Should i just bite the bullet and get a DC4.
Or maybe something else. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Actually, what sort of edge do you have on your knife?

Eeeerrrrrr...................................a blunt one...................???????

No idea, i have a couple of moras, some muti-tools and a cheapy for battening.
So i would guess they are just flat grinds????

Will take a look at the doublestuff....

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I was looking at them but a lot of reviews say they are naff and its better to have a stone and learn to sharpen properly.
I will defo need to learn how to do it with a stone, only ever used a kitchen sharpener lol

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's definitely better to have a stone for the proper upkeep of your blade, but for touching up in the field, it's perfect. Especially for full flat grinds. For SAKs and small folders it is good enough to use as a main sharpener. For the upkeep of scandi grins, then you really do need a benchstone ideally coupled with a flat stone like the DC4 or Doublestuff.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
The cheap uncontinuous diamond stones tend to be too rough to get a good edge. If you do get one go for a DMT.

Unless you're quite skilled (which I'm not) it's difficult to get a consistent angle with a flat stone. A V sharpening system is much easier to get consistent results from. I have a Lansky four rod box and am very pleased with it. Spiderco also make one which is very good too.

Cheers,

Bob

jaemmerson

May 5, 2012
UK
I got a cheap little GI sharpening stone from the Bushcraft Store to supplement my DC4 in the field and it works quite well. You won't quite have the cutting power of a light sabre with it but if you want that, get the DC4. Better than the little edge sharpeners in my opinion as you can use it with more stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Thanks guys, i had already pulled the trigger on the little diamond stones.
They came and are exactly what i expected, small and fairly naff. But they did help me re grind my old "fury" knife.
I had been using a V kitchen sharpener on it for years and had really buggered the scandi grind.
But its now back and pretty sharp, still some work to do on it but its better than its been for years.

I have now also got a DC4 and its very good. got my blunt Mora shaving sharp in just a few mins.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Thanks guys, i had already pulled the trigger on the little diamond stones.
They came and are exactly what i expected, small and fairly naff. But they did help me re grind my old "fury" knife.
I had been using a V kitchen sharpener on it for years and had really buggered the scandi grind.
But its now back and pretty sharp, still some work to do on it but its better than its been for years.

I have now also got a DC4 and its very good. got my blunt Mora shaving sharp in just a few mins.

You can sharpen my knife then! Tar! In advance! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
could you tell me a little of the ease of use please, like the fineness of the grind, and the speed. For example, does it finish the edge to smooth, and how big a knick could you grind out of an edge in 15 minutes or how much metal how fast.

It is a diamond ceramic,so it should take on very hard stuff quickly, whilst being a fine grain ?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Can really tell you much as im new to this sharpening thing.
It is diamond on one side and ceramic on the other and from the little use i put it through last night to re finish my mora after carving a spoon, it works really well.
Sorry but thats about all i can say.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Well I've had a DC4 for a few years now and it really does get better with age!! The more you use it 1)the better you get at the technique 2) the better the edge as the stone becomes more worn and IMO it gives a nicer finish ...

I wouldn't want to use it with anything larger than a mora maybe and using the diamond side it can remove Knicks (the medium sized ones from hitting bone when butchering) in 10 minutes or more

The two sides of mine came apart in the winter when I was using it in very cold conditions--- the glue probably failed as it was cold and I was wedging the stone into a notch in a stick for stability... However it was very easily fixed at home with some gorilla glue and is practically the same product again.. The two plates aren't as well aligned (about 0.5mm off the vertical plane but not really noticeable) but there are no glue marks/mess :)

I originally bought it from Woodlore, and it came in a nice leather pouch which was a nice touch...

Hope this helps, Lewis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE