Anyone tried a firepit bed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just read a handy tip and wondered if anyone had tried it.

After cooking your dinner in a fire pit, dig out the stones and re-position them in a long trench and cover with soil.

Leave for a few hours for the moisture to evaporate then stick your bivvy / sleeping bag up over it for a bit of central heating.

Sound like a good idea.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I havent tried it but i imagine once you have put the soil back on and waited a few hours to be dry there wont be much heat left.
Worth trying though

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I haven't done that myself but I think Jeremiah and bear claw or whatever his name is do it in the movie jeremiah johnson. Then in one episode of survivorman I'm pretty sure Les does it and calls it his "Jeremiah Johnson shelter". In the movie though Jeremiah (Robert Redford) wakes up in a cloud of burning hot steam and bear claw says "you didn't put enough dirt down". Shows you the importance of leaving it to let the moisture evaporate. It also seems like a good way to keep warm inside a shelter if you were worried about having a fire inside or can't.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
My partner insists on some form of heating when camping (either that or I get woken up in the middle of the night to the words "I'm cold"). We always heat up rocks for her sleeping bag. We heat them really quite hot, put them in socks, and they keep her warm all night.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
I haven't done it yet, but aim to do it this year. 2-4-8 was the combination to use. As in, heat the rocks for 2 hrs, bury them in 4" compact dirt, sleep on them for up to 8 hrs. So if you were cooking with a fire pit, fill it in and sleep on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE