anyone tried a Bacho wrecking knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
stumbled across these knives recently, made by Bacho, 4mm thick 4" blade, deep scandi grinds with injection moudled rubberised handle.
the supposed use of them is for prying and beating on, ive seen afew videos of them being driven into wood and used like a chisel with no damage to the knife afterwards. not sure on the steel, ive tried to research it, it may be 12c27 or some kind of carbon but apparently the edge holding is pretty good.

seems like a knife that works well that you dont have to worry about damaging and fuss over, which makes sence to have.

ive ordered one, costs around 20 quid, gonna see how it works, ill let you guys know incase anyone is interested.

hqdefault.jpg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
just nice to have somthing a bit more substantial than a mora, but still with the rubberised handle and cheap price. just means you dont have to fuss over it so much. ive found alot that when going out i tend to use a mora more, because i dont want my nice knife ruined by water or the edge chipping on bone or somthing like that, its nice to use somthing without the fact that it cost so much in the back of your head the whole time.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
A mate (who is not into bush craft) had two the other day, a square chisel one and the rounded one he got the two for £20 though I am not sure where from. He chopped through a wooden pallet using a hammer on them, both hitting the back of the blade and on the pommel and he didn't pull his punches. I was genuinely impressed by the abuse they took without any ‘apparent’ ill effect (I was not impressed by the fact that he did it and just don’t see why anyone other than the test people working for the manufacturers would want to abuse a tool this way) He also used both as pry bars again with no ‘apparent ‘ ill effect, they are certainly tough……they are however the ugliest looking knives I have seen even making my Condor Rodan look quite pretty but as a serious working tool they seem to fit the bill perfectly and both held their edges despite the abuse. The big ugly rubberised handles did feel very 'grippy' and I am thinking both are 'designed' to be used with work gloves, I need another knife like a fish needs bike clips but I must admit to being seriously tempted.

D.B.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wicked, so i guess we can assume the steel would be the same, do you have any thoughts on edge retention or toughness
Fairly hard steel - I would estimate probably 60HRC and not prone to rusting so stainless ish. Edge retention seems good but I work mine hard as a chisel and wrecking knife - it gets hit with a 24oz framing hammer a lot so its not fair to compare with a whitling kinfe!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need bash-worthy and ugly as sin besides? I have yet to lend this tool to anyone who thinks they can wreck it.
There's nothing finer than the Lee Valley Box Tool (88K39.01) for $13.50CDN.
I've added a 3' pipe for more leverage = no bending. 4 swings or less to demolish a brass door hinge.
And all the finesse to ease the crown seal off a finely home-crafted brew or two at day's end.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have exactly that model, with the rounded point end rather than the chisel end, and use it for my field archery. I have resharpened it a few times, but have (so far) been unable to break it while prying and chiselling errant arrows from trees and stumps. I got mine from D&M Tools (Twickenham) a while back for £16. Their website lists it at £17.49 now, and £14.99 for the chisel ended one. It is certainly cheap enough and good enough to be a general user, and mine stays with my archery bag all the time.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I was just thinking of you when I saw this thread Bob. Yours certainly seems to do the job you bought it for rather well!

Heh :) Well, we all have a bad loose from time to time. I am sure that some trees can move! Its not worth risking an nice blade digging arrows out, particularly when they seem to find buried roots as well.

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
I have exactly that model, with the rounded point end rather than the chisel end, and use it for my field archery. I have resharpened it a few times, but have (so far) been unable to break it while prying and chiselling errant arrows from trees and stumps. I got mine from D&M Tools (Twickenham) a while back for £16. Their website lists it at £17.49 now, and £14.99 for the chisel ended one. It is certainly cheap enough and good enough to be a general user, and mine stays with my archery bag all the time.

i got mine for excactly the same reason....its perfect as a field archery knife, and its easy to find if you mislay it in the woods too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE