Anyone make Whoopie slings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the link, I *think* I see how its done. I'll get some ordered and get on YT if I get stuck.

It's dead easy mate, once you've marked it up and tapered the ends it only takes a couple of minutes. Finding something fid like is the tricky bit, I use a length of wire from inside a Cat5 patch lead, let me know if you need any as I throw them away daily.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I used some carboflex wire for my pulling rig but thin mig wire folded or anything like that to help pull through, good luck and show us your results, atb wayne

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I used some carboflex wire for my pulling rig but thin mig wire folded or anything like that to help pull through, good luck and show us your results, atb wayne

Yeah, I use mig wire. Also some stripped out copper earth from electrical ring main cable.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i use dutchware in the states. 50ft delivered for $20 or £15 (edit £13)

Uk hammocks is £1.20 a meter + £1.50 post. This means for the equivalent 15m you would pay £19.50

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It's dead easy mate, once you've marked it up and tapered the ends it only takes a couple of minutes. Finding something fid like is the tricky bit, I use a length of wire from inside a Cat5 patch lead, let me know if you need any as I throw them away daily.

Cheers Shewie, I've got some darning needles and crochet hooks (well the missus does) that I can try with. If that doesn't work out I'll drop you a line :).

DD are selling Amsteel at 0.99p per metre, about as cheap as I can find it anywhere...

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
If you want to practice making whoopie slings get some http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Aqualine--Polyester-Cord/Pr313913000 and make yourself some whoopie sling guylines for your tarp. Lovely for tightening slack guylines in a hurry. breaking strain for the 2.75mm is 150kg which is a bit low for load bearing on a hammock I think. but ideal for tarp guyropes. Also when buying amsteel remember that in order to make a whoopie that opens to 6ft you need 12ft of amsteel.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Seems to be the same stuff. My point is, Amsteel has to be imported from the USA, Dyneema of a different brand doesn't necessarily have to be

Our own UK made lines are better quality IMO too. I've already worn out a set of amsteel whoopies, my English braids whoopies are still going strong.

Just to put my nerd hat on again; D12 is Marlow's equivalent of Amsteel, Dyneema is a trade mark of DSM in Holland. SK75 is the actual type of fibre used to make Amsteel and D12.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Our own UK made lines are better quality IMO too. I've already worn out a set of amsteel whoopies, my English braids whoopies are still going strong.

Just to put my nerd hat on again; D12 is Marlow's equivalent of Amsteel, Dyneema is a trade mark of DSM in Holland. SK75 is the actual type of fibre used to make Amsteel and D12.

WOW thanks for that
Great post and answers by the way guys, got me thinking I have to make some now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE