Anyone made a duck call?

Hi all

Has anyone had a go at making a duck call? I'm not after the highly finished turned works of art that professional shooters use, just something to knock together for kids to play with.

I saw one made of bamboo but didn't have a chance to see how it was made, it looked incredibly simple so I thought maybe one of you talented lot had tried yourselves.

Anyone had a go?

Thanks

Leo

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never made one but Cabela's has them starting as low as $12.99.

You mentioned Professional shooters; is professional hunting (particularly ducks) still allowed? The limit here is 4 ducks per day. Not the sort of limit that would attract a professional.

Last edited:
I've never made one but Cabela's has them starting as low as $12.99.

You mentioned Professional shooters; is professional hunting (particularly ducks) still allowed? The limit here is 4 ducks per day. Not the sort of limit that would attract a professional.

Thanks Santaman.

I don't shoot so have no idea I'm afraid!

I just wanted to have a go at making a simple duck call for a whittling project. It didn't need to be a mallard or shell duck just make a noise other than a whistle! I know they have a reed and the cheap ones use plastic off cuts. They are made in the millions for tourists abroad but have never thought to get one. Better still if someone understands how they work and is prepared to share their knowledge!

Leo

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here is a duck call that I made. I have tried to make it slightly refined looking, but they can be made more 'rustic' if you prefer.
PB140300.jpg

This shows the nozzle where you blow in, but you don't need this, just cover the end hole with your mouth.

PB140299.jpg

This shows the nozzle removed, to show the innards. Essentially the piece of wood has a 3/4 inch hole drilled in from each end, they don't quite meet in the middle. The two 'chambers' are joined with a smaller hole, into which the 'reed' is fitted. The reed protrudes into the chamber that you blow into. My reed is made from a section of biro casing, which has been reduced to a wedge profile, and a flap to cover this, made from a section of blister packing plastic. You may need to experiment with the type of plastic to get the right amount of springiness. Unfortunately the picture cannot show this that clearly, without me taking the call apart.

EDIT Here is a picture of a new reed in progress showing more clearly the wedge profile. (sorry about the poor quality pics)
PB140304.jpg

And another showing the plastic flap superglued in place.
PB140306.jpg

PB140301.jpg

This shows the exit hole (resonance chamber?), which you partially cover with your hand to modulate the volume of the duck call.

I made this one after having seen a commercially available one, and it does a fairly convincing 'quack', but by experimenting with the size of the chambers and the flexibility of the reed you can alter the tone of the call.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Ok so i like this thread and i hate to by new stuff when i see how simple the workings are ,good stuff there by the way Muddypaws Bravo. So can anyone “ Muddypaws “ show me how to make a Predator Call.
strangely enough I’ve been wandering round the woods today with the Acme 505 Predator call.
A bit of wood or some antler looks so much better than a plastic job to.
PS what was the clue to 12 down and 11 across?

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Ok so i like this thread and i hate to by new stuff when i see how simple the workings are ,good stuff there by the way Muddypaws Bravo. So can anyone “ Muddypaws “ show me how to make a Predator Call.
strangely enough I’ve been wandering round the woods today with the Acme 505 Predator call.
A bit of wood or some antler looks so much better than a plastic job to.
PS what was the clue to 12 down and 11 across?

21st Century Pict - Sorry to shatter your illusions but I am by no means an expert in duck calls, just a lucky trial and error amateur. I know that the professional calls usually have brass reeds inside them. There maybe some science geek on here who knows about resonant frequencies and optimum chamber volumes - alas I am not him!

BTW 11 across- Both sides are bound to agree by it (6,4)
12 down- Jack specifically works so, improving the tone? (11) these are from a crossword I cut out of the Times in 2003, I never throw away any that I haven't completed

Stanleythecat - Sorry for the thread jack!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi muddypaws
When I was using the call today it sounded pretty much like that old trick with the blade of grass stretched between your thumbs. Still scratching my head on the Xword thing give me another 8 years.

Here is a duck call that I made. I have tried to make it slightly refined looking, but they can be made more 'rustic' if you prefer.
PB140300.jpg

This shows the nozzle where you blow in, but you don't need this, just cover the end hole with your mouth.

PB140299.jpg

This shows the nozzle removed, to show the innards. Essentially the piece of wood has a 3/4 inch hole drilled in from each end, they don't quite meet in the middle. The two 'chambers' are joined with a smaller hole, into which the 'reed' is fitted. The reed protrudes into the chamber that you blow into. My reed is made from a section of biro casing, which has been reduced to a wedge profile, and a flap to cover this, made from a section of blister packing plastic. You may need to experiment with the type of plastic to get the right amount of springiness. Unfortunately the picture cannot show this that clearly, without me taking the call apart.

EDIT Here is a picture of a new reed in progress showing more clearly the wedge profile. (sorry about the poor quality pics)
PB140304.jpg

And another showing the plastic flap superglued in place.
PB140306.jpg

PB140301.jpg

This shows the exit hole (resonance chamber?), which you partially cover with your hand to modulate the volume of the duck call.

I made this one after having seen a commercially available one, and it does a fairly convincing 'quack', but by experimenting with the size of the chambers and the flexibility of the reed you can alter the tone of the call.

Fantastic reply! Thanks I couldn't have asked for a more comprehensive response. Time to get the tools out!

Thanks again

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE