Anyone know where can I get cheap whisky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are a few sorry looking things hanging around the hedgerows, but I've got a kg in the freezer :D

I bought a bottle of Lidl's cheap malt whisky last week, £17.49 or thereabouts; my malt drinker son2 actually handed me money for it, he said the reviewers were right, it was surprisingly good :) Ben Bracken iirc.

cheers,
Toddy

Don't try the Aldi one. My Trangia is too good for it - their brandy is drinkable though

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
well i learnt something new today! distilling is legal for personal consumption, my life has new purpose

NO.

Whatever gave you that idea? It legal for them to sell the kit. It is legal for you to buy it. But you need a licence to use it, which HMRC have stated that they will not grant if your reason is personal consumption.

The site has a disclaimer buried on one of its pages.

Dec 28, 2009
Dorset
NO.

Whatever gave you that idea? It legal for them to sell the kit. It is legal for you to buy it. But you need a licence to use it, which HMRC have stated that they will not grant if your reason is personal consumption.

The site has a disclaimer buried on one of its pages.

+1 to that:nono:

Found the disclaimer:
It is illegal to manufacture spirits in the UK without a distiller's licence which is required under the provisions of section 12 of the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 and this includes manufacture for "own/domestic use"

The home brewing forums that I'm on have policies of locking or deleting threads that openly talk about moonshine as it's just too risky both in legal terms and for giving the hobby a bad name.

Just think of it as talking about machine guns on the hunting threads ;)

Sam

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
distillation works in two directions. Boiling point of water 100c freezing point 0c. boiling point of ethanol 70c freezing point -114c.

The really dangerous bit is if your initial brew is from stuff that contians pectin, the finshed brew will contain methanol and fusial alcohols. So mucking about can send you blind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE