Anyone know what these berries are?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Hi guys..

I came across these berries while walking the dog earlier and wondered what they were... any ideas?

vedebyju.jpg

bune7aqy.jpg

u5u2ybeg.jpg

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Yes it's Mahonia aquifolium, we used to plant lots of these they were popular with landscape architects for stopping shoppers taking shortcuts in carparks along with Pyracantha, Berberis and Rosa rugosa. Crushed berries can look like blood spots, they may be good for dyeing.

Last edited:

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
According to wikipedia (must be true:)) berries are 'rich in vitamin c, though with a very sharp flavour.' Can make wine from them...interesting. Used by First Nation tribes for indigestion aswell.

Last edited:

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Too right!!!! The carparks are awsome.
Trostre retail park llanelli has mahonia and rosmary. Leeks crosshands has loads of mushrooms, tescos ammanford is good for boletes. Tescos longton staffs has sea buckthorn and ferel apples.
I know! You can half fill your car before you even get into the shop:lmao:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Too right!!!! The carparks are awsome.
Trostre retail park llanelli has mahonia and rosmary. Leeks crosshands has loads of mushrooms, tescos ammanford is good for boletes. Tescos longton staffs has sea buckthorn and ferel apples.

Tescos Pontypool has several non-native whitebeams with large fruits. I'm going to get some this year.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Dont know if edible though.

Look at the 'Plants for a Future' website for questions like that - a great resource and all entries contain citations to their original source.

Here's a linky to the Mahonia entry http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Mahonia+aquifolium

Quoting from 'Edible Uses' section:
Fruit - raw or cooked[2, 3, 5, 95]. The fruit is almost as large as a blackcurrant and is produced in large bunches so it is easy to harvest[K]. It has an acid flavour, but it is rather nice raw and is especially good when added to a porridge or muesli[K]. Unfortunately, there is relatively little flesh and a lot of seeds, though some plants have larger and juicier fruits[K]. The cooked fruit tastes somewhat like blackcurrants[K]. The fruit can also be dried and stored for later use[257]. Flowers - raw. They can also be used to make a lemonade-like drink[183].

But also quoting from 'Known Hazards'

Barberry, goldenseal, oregon grape and other plants containing Berberine should be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Avoid if over active thyroid gland. High doses cause vomiting, lowered blood pressure, reduced heart rate, lethargy, nose bleed, skin & eye irritation and kidney infection. Liquorice as Glycyrrhiza species nullify berberine effects [301].

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE