Anyone know what these are.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi,
I have no knowledge at all regarding funghi etc,i was out walking today and saw these,which i first though were cow dung,but being as it was vertical on the fence and on closer inspection was sponge like with spores coming out of it, i though id ask here.

seals012.jpg

seals008.jpg

on a differant note but rather than opening two threads, on the same trip saw this beach with seal pups with there mothers, pics are'nt great as i didnt have time to get closer so camera was at full zoom, ( pics not good pups are the white blob's mothers the grey) but there was quite a few dotted about the beach.
seals009.jpg

seals010.jpg

seals011.jpg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
First one looks like a wind-blown old puffball, the second one looks very much like a dog poo'd on the wire fence.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers guys id heard of and thought they were puff balls but was'nt sure, the second one(pic) was the biggest about a foot across and at first i thought it was a cow pat,but on closer inspection it was definately fungus(spongy with spores coming off it)

You'll be seeing a lot more grey seal pups in the next couple of months. be wary of getting too close to pups that appear abandoned though, the mother may be just off shore feeding and watching. If they detect even a hint of human smell near the pup they'll abandon it.

Actually...

If anyone else is out and about on our coasts and comes across any pups they think are abandoned can I point you in the direction of this website please?

www.bdmlr.org.uk

It's a busy time of year for rescuing grey seal pups.

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE