Anyone know of any tents that can compare to this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
uk
Hi, i'm after a really light weight 2man dome tent (not really a fan of tunnel tents) have been looking on the net for a while now. Weight & pack size are most inportant, the best one i can find is the vango apex 200 its around £150 (bout the most i want to pay) 1.7kg, pack size 44x11cm.

http://www.cave-crag.co.uk/4234/Van...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid4234

Can't seam to find anything close to this for the price and weight. was just wondering if anyone knew of any tents like this they would recommend.

cheers

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Cotswold Outdoor in Leeds had the Vango Apex on sale for either £125 or £129 last week. I can't see it on their website anywhere but it might be worth ringing the shop if you do fancy getting one.

May 16, 2011
uk
cheers for replys, think the vaude hogan ultralight pack is just abit to big as i wanna be able to attach it to my bag and not really know its there. think i will just hold out for the vango if another sale comes up. cant really see anything being better than it.

cheers.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Why don't you like tunnel tents? IME, they stand up better to wind, are much much easier to erect and usually lighter (due to smaller poles).
Dome tents usually give more floor space, but if it's just for yourself almost any tent will do.

That Vango looks neat but I would want to depend on it in a blow.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Another vote for the Vaude Hogan. I've had an original hogan (not the ultra-light) for about 14 years and it is still going strong. I've used it everywhere from valley campsites to very high up on Snowdon and never had any problems with it. It goes up super fast too.

May 16, 2011
uk
Why don't you like tunnel tents? IME, they stand up better to wind, are much much easier to erect and usually lighter (due to smaller poles).
Dome tents usually give more floor space, but if it's just for yourself almost any tent will do.

That Vango looks neat but I would want to depend on it in a blow.

I read a review of the vango and it said it was ok in high winds. i get a bit claustrophobic in tunnel tents i have a one atm and its ok just really heavy (almost 4kg) for the size of it. And tbh from what i have seen they are not that much lighter than some domes. So if i could get a 2 person dome for the almost the same weight as tunnel it makes sense. I need a 2 person tent as i will use it with gf and on my own, but cant afford 2 tents.

the vaude hogan does look good, but its twice the price for what looks like a similar tent that is heaver and a biger pack

The first place I ever worked at had a sign behind the counter stating “Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.”

You want a tent that is light, packs small, and doesn’t cost too much.

Pick two. You can maybe find a tent that is light and packs small, but it won’t be cheap. You can maybe find a tent that packs small and doesn’t cost too much, but it won’t be light.

The lighter the gear, the higher the cost.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There are many tunnel tents that are very nice in theeir low weight and bombproofness compared to dome tents with th single pole crossing point at the top (inherantly weak pole system). As far as wind goes in dome tents I can only tell you of this guy at Uni who bought himself a really expensive dome tent from the top tent manufacturer back then. All the way to the campsite in the minibus he took the Mick out of us who would be sharing the group's few large, canvas vango force 10 aframe tents. IIRC one was a 10 man version!!!. Anyway we all got to the campsite and got ****** then slept like the innocent (ahem!) babes we were. That guy got ****** then had a worrying and very sobering night lying in the middle of the dome tent, on his back watching the centre of the dome tent get flattened right down till it touched his nose by the stronger gusts of wind. All night it happened and he was totally wiped out the next day (our first day there).

Just be aware that both tents types cope with winds by flexing but the tunnel takes it better than the dome which is usually only found on cheap tents for a good reason. However if it works for the conditions you intend to use it in then it is a good price.

Unfortunately my mobile internet is only on G not 3G or 3G+ so every page takes 5 minutes to load up and I haven't the patience to read that link so I can not comment on that tent but the above applies to most if not all dome tents. However, if you do want to go for one of these I can suggest paying a visit to Kendal Camping. It is a shop on the back road to Kendal from the mini roundabout on the A66 just before Junction 36 of the M6 when coming from the Ingleton side. Ingleton is where that shop is based. If you are anywhere near Ingleton then it is possibly worth a visit to Kendal Camping at Summerlands as they deal extensively in Vango tents and gear. I bought a couple of Vango and Force10 sub-brand tents for exceptionally good prices. I got a Spectre 200 three pole tunnel tent for £50 a few years ago. Cracking tent but it is about 2kg so perhaps too heavy. It is a DofE approved tent afterall which means cheap and tough enough for those little blighters to use.

Anyway KC don't have a website but its a little guy with a camping shop for everything from small backpacking tents to big family tents, caravan and campavan awnings and even 2nd hand caravans and campavans too. I am not linked to the shop but he has done me well over the years so I do feel its well worth letting people know about the place as its so out of the way, hard to find too. Took me a few attempts to find it. I reckon they would be able to beat the £150 price.

BTW is the 4kg a Jack Wolfskin tunnel tent by any chance? I had a 2 man pocket hotel tunnel tent from JW and it was 2.6kg which was considered a very lightweight 2 man tent indeed back then and was considered light enough to carry for solo use!! How things have changed. Now you get 1kg two man tents and a 0.56kg solo tent!!

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
the vaude hogan does look good, but its twice the price for what looks like a similar tent that is heaver and a biger pack

I have 2 Vango tents as well as the Hogan and a larger VauDe tent and to be honest the difference in quality between the Vango's and VauDe's is quite noticeable. That said it depends on your budget and whether you can justify the extra cost for the extra quality. If I didn't have the VauDe tents to compare them to I would be perfectly happy with the quality of the Vango's (although they are top of the range vango's).
If there are going to be 2 of you using the tent regularly then I would find the Hogan a bit snug with gear, particularly for a longer trip. I would say the version with the extended porch would be better or possibly the Taurus but then other people may feel differently.

May 16, 2011
uk
The first place I ever worked at had a sign behind the counter stating “Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.”
You want a tent that is light, packs small, and doesn’t cost too much.
Pick two. You can maybe find a tent that is light and packs small, but it won’t be cheap. You can maybe find a tent that packs small and doesn’t cost too much, but it won’t be light.
The lighter the gear, the higher the cost.

well ofc a shop would say that, and i dont think £150 is a cheap tent more mid range, £20 is cheap tent.

I have 2 Vango tents as well as the Hogan and a larger VauDe tent and to be honest the difference in quality between the Vango's and VauDe's is quite noticeable. That said it depends on your budget and whether you can justify the extra cost for the extra quality. If I didn't have the VauDe tents to compare them to I would be perfectly happy with the quality of the Vango's (although they are top of the range vango's).
If there are going to be 2 of you using the tent regularly then I would find the Hogan a bit snug with gear, particularly for a longer trip. I would say the version with the extended porch would be better or possibly the Taurus but then other people may feel differently.

thanks man, thats whats its going 2 come down to extra cost and as long as long as dont leak or blow over it will be all good (im not going 2 the top of k2 with this thing)

Just be aware that both tents types cope with winds by flexing but the tunnel takes it better than the dome which is usually only found on cheap tents for a good reason. However if it works for the conditions you intend to use it in then it is a good price.

BTW is the 4kg a Jack Wolfskin tunnel tent by any chance? I had a 2 man pocket hotel tunnel tent from JW and it was 2.6kg which was considered a very lightweight 2 man tent indeed back then and was considered light enough to carry for solo use!! How things have changed. Now you get 1kg two man tents and a 0.56kg solo tent!!

thanks for the reply sumed it all up for me. nah its a blacks grus tunnel tent (bout £50 i think) which has never leaked or blown over in exterme weather, which is why i think the vango will be all good since there made by the same ppl.

cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE