Anyone know how to preserve skins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I had a rabbit late november, and wanted to keep the skin, wondered if anybody knew how to preserve it?
tried before wit a squirrel skin, but failed kept skin in freezer and still have head heard about brain tanning but would like preferable to keep as a full fur but if not can it be made into leather?
cheers ATB Jono

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
Depends what you want to use the skin for? if you put it on a small stretching frame then flesh it and leave it in a cool place with plenty of air movement and let it dry. The dermal layers of the flesh don't actually rot its the flesh and fat that does. Another idea would be wet salting if you lay the skin out flat hair side down then cover the flesh side with about 1/2 inch of salt then fold the hide in half then stick it in a plastic box. I found the best thing to do is have the hide held off the bottom of the box ( in the past i have used an old grill tray). both these means of storing mean a hide will last indefinitely. Anyway i must be about my business i am in the process of fleshing 3 red deer hides.

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47148&highlight=cyclingrelf+sheepskin
Try this 'un Jono, I've been hunting for info on deer hide (fur on) tanning at home... won't trouble my hunter for brains so I'm trying to find the best, easiest skin prep to prevent fur slippage without annoying him into binning 'em :S

There's some pdf's on google too but yup, I do agree that for a forum where many folk do tan, its hard to find info and pictures/ tutorials etc on it! We'll have to take pics of us getting it wrong, allow the masters to put us right and then create tutorials ourselves when we're experts ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE