Anyone know how I can report a suspicious email to gmail please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thanks for looking.

I've received a suspicious email, purportedly from a New York eating establishment, using the name of one of their staff members. I googled it separately. The establishment exists and the staff member comes up easily on a search.

There is an attachment to the email (which I haven't opened) - allegedly a receipt for a takeout order, identifying a surname different to mine and stating that this will be charged to a credit card.

As I have't been to the US for over 20 years now, this does just concern me slightly, but I can't seem to find a way of tracking down anything through the gmail front page of how to report my suspicions and worries

Any ideas anyone please?

I have also contacted the establishment concerned through their 'contact' button on their website. Be interesting to see what response I get.

TIA.

Best Wishes
David

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
What are you hoping to achieve by alerting Google? Are you just wanting to remove it from your inbox and prevent it from happening to you again? If so, just click the report as spam button.

I normally just delete them and ignore. They send out thousands of scam emails like this to any emails they can find or purchase. It's usually best just to ignore.

Also, if the credit card details are your details, then alert your credit card company. However, I suspect that it's just some kind of scam hoping that people will send them their bank details.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Does this count as phishing? There is a 'Report phishing' option in the 'Reply' drop down menu.

Unless it's a website that mimics another site, requesting that you log in or give other details. I don't think it's classed as phishing. It's just a scam email. But flagging it as phishing can't hurt...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I normally just delete them and ignore. They send out thousands of scam emails like this to any emails they can find or purchase. It's usually best just to ignore...

If it were genuine and you ignored it they would probably contact you again in a bit but more than likely it's a scam email so as Chris said just delete it.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Does this count as phishing? There is a 'Report phishing' option in the 'Reply' drop down menu.

Okay - thanks. Found that and done so Despite using gmail as my main account I didn't know that menu was there.

I rarely get phishing emails, so this one is just that little bit more concerning.

Best Wishes
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE