anyone know about tomato/pepper seeds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
I've potted some up from saved seed they have been in the greenhouse for about 2 weeks how long do they take to germinate?
should I leave them longer?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
5-10 days is normal for toms under good warm conditions but it can take longer when the temperature fluctuates or is cool. They may still be viable. Its very late in the year for planting tomato seeds to be honest, but you may still get a crop.

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
thanks for your advice, I hadn't really planned things when i put them in the pots I was just curious to see if they would grow. I will leave them a bit longer and see what happens and try again earlier next year.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You might find it better to get a cheap heated propagator when they go in the sale in the Autumn - germinate them inside then put them out into the greenhouse.

If you want to save seed avoid any varieties with "F1" in the name - these are first generation hybrids and are unlikely to breed true. Your best bet are open pollinated varieties - like those sold by these guys

http://realseeds.co.uk/

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know where there's an entire glasshouse that's been built out of empty plastic coke and pepsi bottles. It stands up to the weather and it's warm because the bottles are a kind of double glazing :)

If you're starting off tiny seeds on a windowsill, the clear plastic boxes that grapes come in, the ones with the hinged lids, are pretty handy :) They fit neatly onto the polystyrene trays that peaches are packed onto, so no issues with drainage and the polystyrene trays insulate them too :)

You'd never guess I have some very green and recycling enthusiastic, gardening friends, would you? :)
Personally I think a couple take things a little too far; their gardens look like coups; but the amount of food they grow is truly impressive :approve:

cheers,
M

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
We are trying tomato from seed this year, germinated on window sill at home then planted out, some under a cloche and some not a couple of weeks ago, but we are high on the Pennines and they could have gone out sooner at a lower altitude, so far they seem OK.

unruly

Jan 8, 2014
Suthriganaweorc
I know where there's an entire glasshouse that's been built out of empty plastic coke and pepsi bottles. It stands up to the weather and it's warm because the bottles are a kind of double glazing :)
That sounds great Toddy. I would love to see a picture if you have one?

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
Just to answer the question about Peppers it really depends on the type of peppers you are growing.

Most pepper seeds will take a fair while to germinate it us usually quoted as up to 28 days, but in my experience anything from 1 to 6 weeks depending on the pepper.

Depending on the type they like a really warm soil; sweet pepper usually a consistent temp of between 18C to 25C and for the really hot types of peppers like Naga's 20C-28C.
To be honest (especially for very hot peppers) you need to get them planted in to germinate around Feb as they have a long growing season and most of the very hot peppers are actually pretty hard to get going and fruit.

If you are planting in late you can make a cup of weak tea with a tea bag that has been previously used let it cool then use it to water the seed. Rumor has it the tanning's help break the seed casing and speed up/increase germination rates. Never tried it myself but a friend of mine swears by it.

You may get some peppers if you plant now and it is a fairly fast fruiting variety like Santa Fe grande assuming we get a good summer with lots of sun and they are reared in a greenhouse. But you probably will be eating them as early peppers not fully ripe.

Just to add in a caveat I am no expert in pepper growing! I have grown a few different varieties over the last 5 years along with all my other fruit and veg as once they are off and running other than the occasional feed and water they are pretty low maintenance plants. The best thing I can say is they really don't like having their roots disturbed! So when you have to pot them on you might loose a few. I found you can minimize this by doing the following.

Wait until they are well established, do not pot on small seedlings, soak the base really well before removing the pot and always plant on early in the day (I don't know why this works but I am guessing a day of light and heat after re-planting means that the plants transpire which helps them recover).

I hope this helps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE