Anyone here have and exotic pets

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So I find myself in the position at the moment with the offer of getting a Blue and Gold Macaw. I love the thought of having one and this one has been reared from being young in and around a family environment. I have some previous experience with birds but the biggest bird I have had in the house is a few cockatiels.

Just wondering if anyone else has any exotic pets * not just limited to birds * and the stories behind them.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Does having a house full of tarantula (ae?), scorpions, bearded dragons and other assorted lizards, and various rat-like creatures with and without tails - count?

Personally I have nothing to do with them - prefer the dog and cats!

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I have a couple of bearded dragons however since getting the cats they are now relegated to living in their vivariums (prior to this they had the run of the living room when we were home) which i think is a bit unfair on them so may be looking to find them a good home in the future.

As they love body heat they come accross as affectionate and are great for kids as out of all the reptiles i have had they are the most docile, love being handled and have never tried to bite/scratch etc...
Theyre also bigger and not as fast as gheckos so not as easily lost or, in the case of kids, squashed! :)

bohXI

Jul 16, 2012
Kettering
I used to have and Green Iguana called Ryu

I saw him in a Focus / Do-It-All pet centre.He was timid and a dull grey colour - healthy specimens should be a bright green so I took pity and bought him there and then - if anything to save his life.
After arguing with the staff about what to feed him (Green Iguanas should not eat animal protein) :argue: I took him home and cared for him for 6 years where he grew to 5'9" and lived in my parents conservatory - much to their delight :naughty: until I had to go to uni.

I needed to re-home him so invited Twycross zoo to come see him and take him in and he's been there ever since ruling the roost as the breeding male.

5061679678_8d7820e235.jpg

Not my photo but I'm sure it's him. I recognise his colours & slight over bite :puppy_dog

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
3 dogs, 5 cats, 7 fish, 3 rabbits, 3 degus, 1 dragon crested geko, 1 black clawed african frog, 1 turtle, going to get 3 budgies. So quite a busy house.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
2 corn snakes, 2 beardies, a malawi cichlid tank, a fire eel tank, a black headed python and an understanding and very patient wife. Thankfully the 'escapee' breeding cricket colony is now gone... (never let the blighters get loose!)

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
My grandmother breeds parrots, so yes, I've been around exotics for a long time. They're very rewarding, but also a huge challenge.

The key thing with macaws is they need a LOT of stimulus, think of them as a 4 year old kid and you wont be far wrong. Apart from that, welcome to a world of cleaning up fruit/crap and laughing like a fool at the daft things they do.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
My grandmother breeds parrots, so yes, I've been around exotics for a long time. They're very rewarding, but also a huge challenge.

The key thing with macaws is they need a LOT of stimulus, think of them as a 4 year old kid and you wont be far wrong. Apart from that, welcome to a world of cleaning up fruit/crap and laughing like a fool at the daft things they do.

Well seen as we have 4 children I think there will be plenty of stimulus around. I just need to sort out all of the transfer paperwork and convince SWMBO that this is something we "need"

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
2 corn snakes, 2 beardies, a malawi cichlid tank, a fire eel tank, a black headed python and an understanding and very patient wife. Thankfully the 'escapee' breeding cricket colony is now gone... (never let the blighters get loose!)

The "escapee" thing is why exotic snakes are no longer legal in Florida. We now have a breeding poulation of constrictors with no natural enemies. A couple of years ago one was found dead in the Everglades. It had eaten an alligator but the struggling gatot split it open before dying. Nothing has stopped their growing and spreading and it is estimated that within 20 years or less they will blanket the Southern states.

As to what WE have had; My daughter and her then 6 year old son kept a small common chamelian we caught. An older GF's grandchildren had (at different times) a Vietnamese pot bellied pig and a Mexican Iguana. and a tarantula.

And oh! Yes. One of my cousins has a pair of parrots; one African Grey and the other one I don't know what species. I was surprised at the lifespan initially. The older of the 2 (the African Grey) was her father's bird originall purchaced over 35 years ago and still healthy.

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Well seen as we have 4 children I think there will be plenty of stimulus around. I just need to sort out all of the transfer paperwork and convince SWMBO that this is something we "need"

Just teach it a phrase/fav song of hers..... and clean the crap up before she sees it ;)

They're gorgeous birds, I'd love to see a pic of him in his new home when you get him.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have and Green Iguana called Ryu

I saw him in a Focus / Do-It-All pet centre.He was timid and a dull grey colour - healthy specimens should be a bright green so I took pity and bought him there and then - if anything to save his life.
After arguing with the staff about what to feed him (Green Iguanas should not eat animal protein) :argue: I took him home and cared for him for 6 years where he grew to 5'9" and lived in my parents conservatory

:yikes:

Mental

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've had my Leopard Gecko for nearly 20 years now. Most laid back and cheapest pet ever :D. Although saying that she's having her first ever vet visit today to sort out a few problems so we'll see how expensive that is first.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I've had corn snakes, leopard geckos, sand geckos, a bearded dragon, yemen chameleons, royal pythons and carpet pythons at various points.

My favorites were the royals. Now I have a small child instead, she takes a lot more looking after:rolleyes:

Cheers

Grebby

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE