Anyone got a veggi patch/allotment and what you growing...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Decided to do a bit on the allotment today. New compost heap built and started to dig over the beds.
Got me thinking if anyone else has a veggie patch or lottie and what have you got planned this year.

This year i will mostly be growing....
potatoes,french beans,broad beans, peas, chard, cabbage, cauliflower, spinnach, salads, leeks, onions, and i think i will double the strawberry bed.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hell yeah growing your own stuff :)

We bought a 1930s semi with a garden close to 18m long. (main reason I was keen on the house). We (read I as the missus not as keen at getting dirty lol) split it in two with a willow fedge the back end is the allotment and the front part is a garden. Got 4 raised beds which I rotate crops on and a small herb bed.

Picked up an old green house for free last year so I am hoping to fill it with toms, chillis and peppers this summer. When we moved in I planted 3 apple trees as well as a plum and a cherry tree. Had to take cherry out as it died but looking at getting another this spring, the apple trees where great last year and I am still waiting for the plums. Also have planted giant black berry which I've trained along the fence. A large strawberry bed, rhurbarb & blue berry bushes as well as an old cast iron bath tub I used for salad leaves. I love getting out there in the morning and picking the food for the day.

I've picked up alot of the hardlandscapey stuff on the cheap or free. So all in all its not cost to much which is even better.

This year I'll be doing the same as you for the most part as well as squashes and sugar snap pea also looking at getting more blueberry bushes as well.

The next thing to get is a few chucks :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Just finished putting in posts to make a better chicken-proof fence for this year, hoping to get the mini greenhouse sorted tommorow..

Jan 25, 2011
Aberdeenshire
Got a small plot at the back of my parents house. Last year I got a 12x6 greenhouse free for dismantling, so had it full with about 14 different tomato plants, jalapenos a cucumber. Outside I had potatoes, peas, onion and leeks. As well as usuall perennial raspberries, gooseerries, rhubarb and blackcurrants.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Had an allotment for 5 years now.
Was down there today.
Still lots of last years leeks and potatoes left, not to mention a freezer full of last years veg.
Daffodils are in bud.
The rhubarb is up and coming on.
The Globe artichokes are coming back to life, as are the fruit bushes.
The overwintering garlic, broad beans and cabbage are coming on, as are the onions.
I've even got some coriander that has come up from last year despite the winter weather.
Next job for me is to get the later lot of onions in and soon after that, the spuds that are chitting in the shed. I've also managed to get some of the heritage potatoes that come out black, blue and red, so they should be different!
I'm doing very few traditional runner beans because while they are nice fresh, I hate them frozen, so on the bean front it'll be a second crop of broad beans and a load of French climbing beans for us.
Then there's the carrots swedes and parsnips as well as the cabbages, sprouts and broccoli.
Ooh...and I have fresh frog spawn in my pond without putting it in myself for once and hopefully my family of slow worms in the compost again. :)

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Moved up here seven years ago from just south of Edinburgh where I gardened for 12 years, Was brought up in Essex originally, so each move gets further north. Had a sheltered garden when living in Midlothian so did not struggle too much and did not notice too much of a difference from the deep south, however am struggling a bit to grow veg up here on our rather exposed site.
Tatties do fine, and peas, winter cabbage, onions and leeks, but cannot seem to grow beans, either French or Runner. Runners will grow but not fruit and French don't grow at all. Courgettes do OK some years. Have not succeeded to grow carrots. Salads like rocket and lettuces do fine.
The fruit does better, we've got Gooseberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, rhubarb and apples and plums, though if we get a frost at the wrong time these don't fruit at all.
We had a greenhouse until it was wrecked in a gale two years ago, so there will be no more tomatoes until we get a new one. We are saving up to get a Rhino greenhouse which should withstand the winds up here.
Was interested to find out what you grow celestialpore, as I'm guessing you're not that far away :)

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I've got an allotment - on of the first things I got sorted when we moved here 7 years ago.

Last year we had a bumper plum crop - over a hundredweight from 2 trees we put in 6 years ago. Made plenty of jam as well as filling up the freezer and sold lots to raise a bit of cash for a charity we were supporting at work.

We've also got apples, greengages and damsons as well as lots of soft fruit.

I'm a fan of all sorts of french and runner beans. I normally grow at least a dozen different varieties each year, mostly heritage ones. I save my own seed - some to replant and some to eat in stews etc over the winter.

I grow small amounts of lots of different things. I don't grow many brassicas though as HWMBLT doesn't like them (I blame his mum, she used to put the sprouts on in November for Christmas dinner :lmao:)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Hopefully we'll be moving this year so we're not growing much of the usual veg. However, we have planted several fruit trees in our woodland and some perennial fruit and veg such as ramsons and hops (which produce edible shoots in the spring). Probably will not produce much this year but we're looking forward to camping in future years and dining on our own plants.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Well theres a good few green finger types here :)
Just put a seed order in and going to try some purple french beans.

Always tickles me that when this time of year comes round my other half says so what are we going to grow this year?? We? I think that that now means this is what i fancy, you can grow it and we can eat it :)

We've got hens as well but they have really gone off laying (don't think they like cold and wet) might be time for the pot!!

Oct 15, 2009
Hampshire
Had an allotment for 2 yrs. Last year best success with dwarf french beans (sungold), climbing french beans (coisse voilette, borlotti), courgettes , garlic , jerusalem artichokes, broad beans, desiree spuds, cauliflower, sprouts, crown prince pumpkin, plum tomatoes, chillies and swiss chard. Going to try harder this year with peas, carrots and sweetcorn.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
As well as work (8acres), the garden at the new flat (mostly ornamentals with a few hidden edible gems) I may now be persuaded to sort out the garden at the local pre-school nursery where they want to grow veg for the bairns. Then there is helping Dunc with the allotment.... *sigh*.

i have a couple of potted plants, chillies and peppers and some herbs. i really want an allottment but there is none local to me the nearest ones i know of are 12 miles or so away and there is no spaces. I have sent a couple of emails to the local council about allottments but not even a reply GRRRR.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I created a veggie patch in the back garden last year and covered it up for the winter. I took the covers off last weekend and turned over the soil and as it the first year of trying I am only intend on doing maris piper potatoes but I might move on to more as the year progresses

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE