Anyone got a coracle I could borrow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was out with a fellow yesterday who mentioned that he has committed to doing a paddle for charity by rowing a coracle across Llyn Clywedog (a man-made flood control reservoir near the head-waters of the River Severn), some two and a half miles! The furthest he's been in one before now is about 12 feet at a have-a-go session a few years ago.

He works with a number of charities for disabled and disadvantaged children and has done a number of similarly crazy fund-raisers in the past - but the one stumbling block at the moment - he doesn't have a coracle! If anyone has one that we could borrow later in the summer, or knows where we might get one cheaply and possibly at short notice, please let me know!

The idea is very much in a planning phase at the moment with various people getting the logistics sorted out, as and when the project gets a little closer to fruition, I'll check with the boss for some potential donations.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Not super close to your venue but might be worth having a word with the people at Middle Ninfa near Abergavenny - they run coracle making sources and maybe able to lend you one of their pupils' efforts for the cost of the cover or a promise to return it.

http://middleninfa.co.uk/?page_id=58

12' feet is about the same linear distance that I managed on my first (and so far only) voyage in a coracle on a dreadful corporate team building course 20 odd years ago. Though short, the 12' was quite eventful and included quite a few 360 degree rotations and a capsize!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE