Anyone ever put a scandi grind on a saber ground blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys wondering if anyone has ever modified a saber ground knife, like a Ka-Bar or any of the Spec Plus combat knives, into a scandi ground blade. By this I mean has anyone sharpened the enter bevel? If so can you let me know how you did it and how it turned out.

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

Moine

Forager
I did that with an old ka-bar, but with a slightly convex edge (using the foam & sandpaper trick). It cuts better and the edge is not as tough as it used to be... this was predictable ;)

The thinner the edge, the sharper it gets. The thicker the angle, the tougher...

I found, though, that by putting only a very small microbevel at a more open angle, the edge retention was better and edge "injuries" (chips, rolls, dents...) tended to be smaller.

Here's a pic :
convex-ka-bar.jpg

Note : the false edge is not sharpened. It's a light reflection.

Cheers,

David

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I always took a saber grind to be a single bevel per side rather then the kabar type with a secondary bevel. One thing to remember is that the primary bevel on a knife like the KaBar or Grohmann boat knife is a fair bit less then on a typical scandi knife with a single bevel. Convexing the edge seems to me the favorite method of improving wood woork performance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE