Anyone else into homebrewing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
I'm going to try a shop kit (working on several projects, so no time to forage). As a complete newbie, any good packages out there?

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
kit wise depends on what you drink the ones i like are coopers original stout and betterbrew chech larger,atb wayne

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
ive been making the wine for a wee while now and tried the beaverdale kits etc , i have found a recipe that is everybit as good and east to make and all the foraging can be done ina supermarket.

for 1 gallon its as follows

i ltr white grape juice
1 ltr orange juice
900 grm of caster sugar
1 tsp of tannin
1 tsp of citrus
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 tsp of pectolase
1 tsp of super yeast add it altogether and top up with water to the gallon .let it ferment out and degas and add fermentation stopper and finnings and leave to clear .
its really good, i got the recipe from a wine forum and ita called worzell's orange wine but usually just WOW.

cheers

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
WOW is awesome and so easy! Have you made it with pineapple juice? It goes bananas! Spurts out the airlock!

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
Hi , and no i havent tried a pineapple yet but i think i will, the WOW minds me of the lava lamps you used to get when it goes mental , your are right the are good and better than the shop bought stuff . i might try a few diffrent flavours for an experiment .

Peter

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
I find that lalvin 71-b makes a nice wow as it doesn't dry it out too much! Other yeasts I've used have stripped it out to the point of pulling your gums back over your teeth! :)

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
hehapeja.jpg
Filtering it as well as isinglass really makes it shine as well! :)

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
I've been using super yeast so far , still to try other stuff . the variations are endless what with diffrent juices and yeast etc , i suppose some will be good and some drinkable but thats the fun. i have made Muntons cider and pilsner lagers as well but there a bit costly and i dont feel the same sense of achievement from making them as i do with the wine.Have taken a few bottles of wine on the fishing trips with the mates and had no complaints except i didnt bring enough haha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE