Anyone else into homebrewing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Just wondered if anyone else on here is into homebrewing? I think the two hobbies are pretty well suited to each other. I've been all grain homebrewing for about 4 years now and along with camping.....and now bush-craft, has taken over most of what little spare time I have! :)

I've been writing (sporadically) a blog (hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting the link, if so I will happily delete)

http://leedsbrew.wordpress.com/

there is nothing nicer than taking a few litres of home made beer on a camping trip! :)

cheers

Neil

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I made my own cider press a few years back and I also make a variety of foraged berry wines. I've never tried making a beer from first principles, only kits, I've always been put off by the process, perhaps when the spawn are bit older and I get some more "me time" I might revisit it.

It's definitely rewarding drinking some decent homebrew and to be honest, I would rather drink my Elderberry wine than most shop bought reds.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just wondered if anyone else on here is into homebrewing? I think the two hobbies are pretty well suited to each other. I've been all grain homebrewing for about 4 years now and along with camping.....and now bush-craft, has taken over most of what little spare time I have! :)

I've been writing (sporadically) a blog (hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting the link, if so I will happily delete)

http://leedsbrew.wordpress.com/

there is nothing nicer than taking a few litres of home made beer on a camping trip! :)

cheers

Neil

Never tried it myself although its something I have wanted to do at some point. I vaguely remember been a kid and seeing my Grandads and Uncles setups and liking the smell of the beer :)

Tbh I think I'm going to give this a go soon, Thnx for sparking my memories/interest :)

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Bob, nice! myself and the Mrs are getting into country wines, and meads as well. I have had a go at elderberry but it was very tanic. any chance of your recipe?

cheers

N

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
ADz

it is a great hoby. TBH the set up costs, even of all grain brewing can be quite low. If you need any pointers of tips fellagive me a shout! Jimsbeerkit is a great forum as well! loads of info!

Neil

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
have made beer and cider from kits.
want to make proper cider but apples come at my busiest time and work.
i sometimes make elderflower cordial and shmbo has made elderflower champagne.
i have made sloe, blackberry, elderberry and damson gins and scotches.
now it's just damson gin far far better than any of the others.

off at moment having had knee cartilage op, been through freezer to get stock for lettuce soup (tastes surprisingly good) and found some more damsons so changed elderberry gin into damson which will be a great improvement.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
All Grain brewer here :)

Been busy brewing two 9gall batches last couple of weeks.

A chocolate vanilla porter for my wedding in mid sept and an ipa for the wilderness gathering in a couple of weeks.

2 more wedding beers to brew still, an ipa and a brown session beer. Will be getting on to those mid to late august.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I used to do a bit, from malted grain a couple of times, more foraged/ hedgerow wines mostly but noone ever drank it apart from my son in high school (wondered why I was such a popular mom, I didn't realise at the time ;)) and I don't drink myself so it seemed a bit wasted :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Used to make quite a few brews from 8 pint kits bought from Boots - yes it really was that long ago!! bought a book a good while ago with a few recipes in and managed to source the ingredients to make a batch or real beer, again pre internet days, but haven't made any for a very long time.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
any chance of you recipe?

It's a real simple one:
Pour 1 gallon of boiling water over 3lbs sugar and 5lbs elderberries
Allow to cool and add yeast and nutrients
Cover, stirring occasionaly, for 1 week
Strain into demi-john and let nature do it's thing.

I also do a nice one, swapping out 1lb of elderberry with 2lb of blackberry, reducing the stewing time to 24 hours and adding the yeast after straining.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
hi Neil i have just started i am on my third lot so far i have modified kits but i am just gathering stuff to go AG in the futer i love it,atb wayne

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
partial to a 28 bottle beaverdale wine kit, was suprised how simple they are, hardest part is saving some wine to age without drinking it all

would like to also make it from real fruit not a kit

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Kits and pressure barrels here for a couple of years now.
Picked up a camping barrel(2gal) at the start of the year that's been working a treat. Syphon into it from one of the main barrels then scoosh CO2 in while putting the caps back on to force out the air.
It's been on a few boat trips now, I just keep the pressure low for travelling then charge it up at camp. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am into "hedgerow" winemaking ...
8x1 gallon demijohns in my position - 48 ish bottles of various wines stored (maturing and or ready to drink) and 40 odd bottles worth still in the demijohns, working away as I type :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE