Wanted Anyone do Kydex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anyone here work with Kydex? I’m after an edge protector for this rather lethally sharp mezzaluna mincing knife. I’d be after 2, as I gifted one of these to my stepson.

IMG_5240.jpeg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would suggest that leather would be better than Kydex for this project. I work with Kydex, and recently made three sheaths for kitchen knives. With thin leather it is possible to make less bulky blade covers compared to Kydex. The exception would be someone who can weld Kydex rather than rivet it.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve been bonding some 3D print material and found this when I looked up some adhesives.
Might it help?

Edited to add:
I am presuming that if it bonds to a metal surface it will also bond to itself.

I know nothing of blade guards but I know a lot about specific areas of plastic and metal bonding substrates.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cheers guys, for now I’m just going to cut two strips of cardboard by marking round the blade and tape them together. Will probably line it with some more tape.

Those plastic bonding glues take me back to my days working on plastic pipe work for vacuum sewage systems, we used Methyl Ethyl Ketone paste and slotted the pipes together so the plastic fused to itself. Get it wrong and you'd be hacksawing the mistake out.

Ideally, something like the plastic A4 binders, but in the right shape should be provided, like the ones that come on Silky blades but inverse, the blades are crazy sharp.

Reactions: Stew

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Glue gun, two burnt thumbs, and the packaging box. Needs a bit of tape, but it’ll do.

IMG_5248.jpeg

In an ideal world, it’d be two curves of black Kydex with about 10 little Chicago bolts around the outer edge and some sort of clip. What this sheath doesn’t need is having to be in any way forced or wriggled into, that’ll be a cut finger.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE