Anyone do any Napoleonic re-enacting ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The first half dozen uniforms need to be finished within eight weeks. The fellows who will be wearing those ones are mostly small slim wiry types, apart from one lad who is 6'2" and has a 44" chest and another just as tall, but lean and lanky and only needs a 38" chest.

Regiments had their own tailors for good reasons :D

M

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There is a tailor shop near Redford on the Colinton Road, both master tailors(rtd) who can advise you on cut of cloth and so forth. B & G Tailors.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly, but I have a fair idea of how this pattern should be drafted and constructed; I just need the details of the way that the originals were cut to sit over the kilt from the waist down at the back. The soldiers weren't wearing huge belts at their waists, they did wear crossed belts, so the jackets didn't need to be cut to clear like the lovat jacket.

Tailoring for ordinary soldiers wasn't the high quality detailed and fitted stuff that was (or that we do) for officers who bought their own.
Hand sewing on all the lace (the wool tape) is still a right royal pain though.

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Thank you kindly, but I have a fair idea of how this pattern should be drafted and constructed; I just need the details of the way that the originals were cut to sit over the kilt from the waist down at the back. The soldiers weren't wearing huge belts at their waists, they did wear crossed belts, so the jackets didn't need to be cut to clear like the lovat jacket.

Tailoring for ordinary soldiers wasn't the high quality detailed and fitted stuff that was (or that we do) for officers who bought their own.
Hand sewing on all the lace (the wool tape) is still a right royal pain though.

M

I suspect you are right there, it was all very much make do for the common soldier. Quite possibly for the officers too there was a great deal of variation according to what you could pay your tailor to do.

Off the subject of Napoleonic Wars for the moment I was looking up the history of the Sam Browne belt and it turns out there never was a standard issue during WWI it was pretty much variations on a theme.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't know if this will help Mary,

;-)

After Peter lost yet another coat in Mr McGreggors cabbage patch, his mother made him a new outfit .. it is just a pity she had been on the fermented Carrot Juice when she got the sewing machine out!

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Where about is the kilt Stevie

Are you directing the question to myself??, If So, Charity shop at the top of the main street at the lights. sure it's Oxfam, but at £45 it's a bit pricey for a charity shop. i wouldn't pay more than a £20 for one...saw plenty go for that price or cheaper. as for size, looks about a 32/34". There is/was also a leather sporran for £6 in beside the gloves hats section.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE