Anybody who makes brass buckles (from wire, not cast)?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've got an offer of a commission to make a number of Napoleonic French Infantry cross belts, and the sample I've been given to copy has a Sam Browne style twin prong 'half' buckle, similar to this one, but with two prongs: http://abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/catpageindex/2/ProductID/68538/Language/en-GB/Default.aspx?txtSearch=sam+browne

I haven't been able to find anywhere that does these 'wire' (approx 4mm diameter brass wire /rod) buckles with two prongs. It *ought not* to be too difficult to make them up myself, but it's not something I've done before and so, for a short run of maybe half a dozen, may not be worth while, if I can get them elsewhere.

So...anybody do this sort of thing, or know any buckle suppliers who do?

Thanks

Geoff

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
do you have the equipment to drill and shape a sheet of brass? I'm guessing it could be done with a drill/drillpress and a bunch of files - and a whole day!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Unless you are set up to make them (ie make a jig), then getting them the same would be a sod. Certainly I've done similar things in the past and I'm not about to offer :) sorry.

The easiest (and likely cheapest way) I can see would be to buy the ones that you can already find and add the extra wire. Alternatively, since they are for Napoleonic outfits, there are enough re-enactors doing that period that I'm sure they would have a supplier for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE