anybody know about growing bonsai trees?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
We've had a Chinese Elm for a couple of years now ( present off the mother in law ).

imag0002ja.jpg

Some Bonsai owners say they are the best starter trees, As they are one of the easiest to take care of, Yes they do act differently indoors to outdoors, Ours is just starting to lose it's leaves now, Where as last autumn/winter it didn't ( because we kept it indoors ).

Hopefully going to re pot it in spring, and trim the roots, The hardest part to figure out is the soil mix , as i've heard normal garden soil kills most of em, Hence the reason for keeping them in their pots outside.

Edit, Meant to say, try and steer clear of buying one from any of the big d.i.y. chains, they started selling them a while back, they're garbage. Decent garden centre's are your best bet, If you can, try and buy a well established tree say 4-6 years old.:)

Last edited:

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
I've had three and managed to kill them all after about 12 months :(

First two I had I managed to kill them all within 3. The second one I happened to be looking after for my sister too, think that one was a good 25 years old too :( I stuck to cacti and normal plants after that but I have to keep my plants hidden away as my cats just eat them. Their faces are a picture trying to eat the large spines. Though these days I'm quite successful in the garden with fruit and veg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE