Anybody got a Swiss Army stove for sale?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
That's interesting.
I can't see that it is anymore unstable than a hobo stove (and I have made a few of those) and nothing that a bit of care won't solve.

Someone on another thread pointed out to me that it's more stable with the bottle stood in the wire "handle". I've previously knocked in a couple of tentpegs and hooked the ends into the bottom vent holes for extra stability.

There isn't any need to hang it over a fire; the fire burns within the outer casing. Still, there you go, different strokes for different folks and all that :0)

I've added a couple of split rings through the top vent holes and with a small lenth of chain can have the whole thing hanging from a branch, though obviously only in calm weather.

I tried a hexy tablet about half the size of a military one. Stunk and left a residue, as usual, but boiled ok and didn't consume all the tablet.

I haven't tried hexy but one of my fave standbys, that works well with this stove, is the cheap and cheerful tealight and cardboard. Leaves a residue but not much smell and a lot cheaper than hexy.

Method : Get a tealight, take it out the case, scrape the outside diameter down a mm or 2, saving the scrapings. Cut off a bit of corrugated cardboard a little taller than the tealight case, wrap it around the whittled down tealight and replace back in the case. Tip the wax scrappings back ontop and you have yourself my favourite emergency burner, you can fit a couple of these between the bottle top and cup for transport too if you forgo recycling the scrappings.

Another thing I've added is the plastic top from a tin of CoffeMate, it makes a tight fitting lid. Cut a couple of slots in the edge to accomadate the cup handles and 2 slots on oppersite sides ontop, originally just to let out steam but I enlarged one of them as that allows me to drink without taking the top off. It also acts as a barrier to stop my lips burning as I like to drink staight away. Only used the lid twice and it's not melted yet but can't vouch for it's longterm performance.

I've been a bit warry of using wood and twigs as it is made aluminum.Now if someone made one of a similar design of stainless steel but sized to a Nalgene bottle they'd have a real winner that would probably weigh about the same.

Correction : It wasn't the Coffemate lid I settled on, that fits loosly over the top as does a Smash tin lid, the lid I settled on for a snug fit came from a Morrisons stainless steel bowl set

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I've been a bit warry of using wood and twigs as it is made aluminum.Now if someone made one of a similar design of stainless steel but sized to a Nalgene bottle they'd have a real winner that would probably weigh about the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a standard Sigg bottle fits nicely.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
OK, I have had one of these for a year or so, and have never used it...
For some reason, I had the idea that you cooked in the bottle and poured out the soup/whatever into the cup to eat it...
It is strange how you can have a misperception, and just hang on to it despite all common sense...:eek:

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I haven't tried hexy but one of my fave standbys, that works well with this stove, is the cheap and cheerful tealight and cardboard. Leaves a residue but not much smell and a lot cheaper than hexy.

Method : Get a tealight, take it out the case, scrape the outside diameter down a mm or 2, saving the scrapings. Cut off a bit of corrugated cardboard a little taller than the tealight case, wrap it around the whittled down tealight and replace back in the case. Tip the wax scrappings back ontop and you have yourself my favourite emergency burner, you can fit a couple of these between the bottle top and cup for transport too if you forgo recycling the scrappings.

What does the cardboard do & how is it better than just the candle?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
How do you add rep on this site?
I wanted to add some to you, but the button does not seem to be there...

You can't, JRK. The Rep system was taken down sometime ago, due to the fact that the site Admins found some sort of organised Repping scandal was taking place.

What does the cardboard do & how is it better than just the candle?

My guess is that it acts as an additional circular wick, and produces the effect of the type of flame on a Trangia alcohol burner, for instance. A very nice idea, if that's the principle at work, here.

Best regards,
Paul.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well i made them tea candle with cardboard and bees wax burns better still makes black on pot. check this out corn chips

How about a birch fungus stove this pot takes to long a soda can be better

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
My guess is that it acts as an additional circular wick, and produces the effect of the type of flame on a Trangia alcohol burner, for instance. A very nice idea, if that's the principle at work, here.

Correct, I probably should have said "and light the cardbord wick".
Not the cleanest burning of cookers but at only 1-2p if bought by the 100 one of the cheapest and cleanest/easiest for transporting, hence I'm a little surprised they're not used more often. They do seem to suit the Swiss Army Stove in particular. Depending on the exact make of tealight, cardboard and wind conditions they burn for 15-30 minutes.

A side note, as I keep a tealight or 2 in my emergency supply I also keep a strip of corrugated card.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Not the cleanest burning of cookers ..............

Glen, you are the master of understatement!
I tried it today and in over 50 years of camp cooking that is without doubt the filthiest and smokiest method that I have ever used.
Meths and hexy are by far cleaner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE