Anybody got a Swiss Army stove for sale?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The only place you'd get away with wearing a hat like that is at a cricket match. :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Regrettably the site appears to be in German; a language that I absorbed by reading war comics in the '50's and '60's.
Hande Hoch and Schnell, Schnell (always shouted twice for some mysterious Teutonic reason) don't appear to be on the site.
Is there an English translation that I have missed?

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Try here>
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/prod7...sub_cat2_name=Cookers&grpid=8401&msg=&offset=
It's the same site as Spamel's natty hat link and they have loads of good,cheap stuff.
I got myself a brand new bivi bag for £30 from them a few weeks ago and as they are near me i had a chance to have a good look around and the place is stuffed full of stuff i am sure they had the stove your after and i saw some steel swedish army trangias which are hard to get hold of now (i resisted buying one as i all ready have the ally version).
Hope this helps.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Try here>
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/prod7...sub_cat2_name=Cookers&grpid=8401&msg=&offset=
It's the same site as Spamel's natty hat link and they have loads of good,cheap stuff.
I got myself a brand new bivi bag for £30 from them a few weeks ago and as they are near me i had a chance to have a good look around and the place is stuffed full of stuff i am sure they had the stove your after and i saw some steel swedish army trangias which are hard to get hold of now (i resisted buying one as i all ready have the ally version).
Hope this helps.

Thanks

I checked them earlier but their postage charges double the cost.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I've got a used one (still in good nick) you can have, PM me you address and I'll send it on

Hi All

I just want to acknowledge this fellow bushcrafter Rik.
He saw my quest for a Swiss Army stove and has supplied me with one, but he has flatly refused all offers of money or goods in exchange.
I've never met him and I am much heartened that such a spirit still exists. If I should ever meet him he will have to have a drink or two.
Thanks a lot Rik.

Nobby

ps I've just been up the garden in the rain and boiled half litre of water very easily and the whole outfit fits nicely on the downtube of my bike. I don't understand why these stoves aren't more widely known.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
ps I've just been up the garden in the rain and boiled half litre of water very easily and the whole outfit fits nicely on the downtube of my bike. I don't understand why these stoves aren't more widely known.

I was under the impression that people avoided them because they were quite unstable, limited capacity and limited use (no method of hanging over a fire etc) when compared to a Swedish Army stove for example.

Having said that I’ve never seen one :eek: ! Just read about them on this forum :rolleyes: !

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I was under the impression that people avoided them because they were quite unstable, limited capacity and limited use (no method of hanging over a fire etc) when compared to a Swedish Army stove for example.

Having said that I’ve never seen one :eek: ! Just read about them on this forum :rolleyes: !

That's interesting.
I can't see that it is anymore unstable than a hobo stove (and I have made a few of those) and nothing that a bit of care won't solve. I normally look for a suitable site to rest a stove as I start thinking about lunch. It is surprising how many concrete slabs there are around the countryside. Bus shelters, lych gates and church porches are good, war memorials do at a pinch.
Limited capacity is true. It holds 500ml of water in the 'pot'. Luckily that is two and and a half times what's left of my stomach can hold, but I can see that may a problem for normal eaters.
There isn't any need to hang it over a fire; the fire burns within the outer casing. Still, there you go, different strokes for different folks and all that :0)

I conducted some further experiments this afternoon after making a mesh grate and a foil pot lid.
firstly, the device burns wood well with the mesh grate to help the draw, and using a blow tube to get the coals hot. I tried unidentified twigs first and then apple twigs. Either burnt, the second better for coals, and both left a residue on the bottom of the pot.
secondly, I tried a hexy tablet about half the size of a military one. Stunk and left a residue, as usual, but boiled ok and didn't consume all the tablet.
thirdly, I tried the burner from my Trangia. Four desert spoonfuls of meths and I had a rolling boil in very little time. it was powerful enough boil that it lifted my foil pot cover and the wind caught it and took it down the garden. I used my metal mug to hold it on after and it warmed the mug nicely.

I think that I shall keep the stove with its litre of water clipped to my cycle frame and have the meths burner in my saddle bag pocket. Without meths, or when I fancy an open flame, I'll burn twigs, and I'll keep a couple of hexy blocks in the bottom of the saddlebag for emergency back up. Meths is easy to find in the UK and I don't think I'll need to carry very much spare fuel for weekend rides beyond what is in the meths burner. I'm 'doing' a Shropshire Roman Road in a couple of days so I can try it in the field, as it were.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I bought one of these some time ago from an Army Surplus here in Switzerland, where it was described as Swedish army surplus.

Anyway, my findings:

The chimney shape works very well and the wire handle clips in securely yet stows away tidily too, so that was good. Even with a fire going you can still pick the whole thing up due to the zig-zag handle. The bottle has a naff cork stopper rather than a screw top, so it's not so good for stuffing willy nilly into a backpack. I used the bottle to store dry twigs/fuel.

When you've got a fire going the water in the cup didn't take long to reach a boil, and it's even feasible to add extra fuel mid boil, but the ash tended to rise up then loop over into the cup due to some kind of localised edy currents. A lid would prevent this obviously.

I was pleased with the ease of lighting and the rapid cool down after extinguishing the fire, very little mess.

The fun and games came to a stop however when I put BBQ coal in as fuel. The chimney effect cause the whole apparatus to melt, so now I'm left with an alu cup and stopperless bottle. Still, for 2 quid I can't complain.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I bought one of these some time ago from an Army Surplus here in Switzerland, where it was described as Swedish army surplus.

Anyway, my findings:

The fun and games came to a stop however when I put BBQ coal in as fuel. The chimney effect cause the whole apparatus to melt, so now I'm left with an alu cup and stopperless bottle. Still, for 2 quid I can't complain.

Yes, the aluminium casing is a bit on the thin side which probably accounts for the corrugated sides which must give it some strength :0(
Thanks for that input. I'll definitely stick to meths, twigs and small hexy blocks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE