anybody converted their own campervan ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,ve got hold of a Ford Transit lwb ,sht van in good condition with low mileage .it has a great roof rack for the canoes ,a back step, tow bar and door ladder.anyway i,m thinking of doing a conversion ,i have never done anything like this before ,any tips or help welcome. where is the best place to get all the bits and bobs ?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Depends how fancy you want it and how much time you want to spend. I bought an off the shelf sink/cooker wardrobe unit for my VW T4 than just dropped in and screwed to the wall. Cost £1200 but looks pretty much like a proper campervan and is all superlightweight ply. Lots of folk buy units from IKEA and cut them down to fit.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i had thought of ikea, or the small vanity units from bathroom showrooms as they are narrow.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Done quite a few for people in the past. Both vans and refitting boats of all all types. It all depends on the kind of budget you're looking at. If you need a hand or some advice gimme a shout as i'm only down the road in Ayr.

Cheers, Davie

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
that would be great Davie ,i,m not looking to spend a fortune as the van is an older model.i know some people in caravan sales ,so i might be able to get one that has been damaged.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I will be doing the same when I can find a vw t4!!! Sold my type 25 and been looking for a while....hoping that the autumn ill turn up a few to look at.
PersonallY I would have a look at some of the guys who sell them on ebay for ideas and then come up with something yourself. The Ikea route is a good idea but the the height and width may need cutting down. Also watch the weight of some of the stuff you buy as thick marine ply may last an age but may make the old girl struggle on hills!
I will get a smev cooker sink and 3 way fridge add a hook up (somewhere discreet) a bolt in table and 'rock and roll bed' which is more than you need really.
Also you could do a basic bed and then go camping and see what your 'needs' are as I love the luxury of a fridge but you may find that a cool box is more than adequate and end up spending money on stuff you dont 'need'
Dave

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
i once converted an old Renault Master . i built my own units , bunks etc and canabalised an old dead caravan for the sink , taps and other plumbing bits . if you store your gas inside ( in a cupboard ) make sure you put a vent to the outside in that cupboard. or just make a box mounted on the outside of the rear door to put the cylinder in . hope it works out youll love it !!
ATB

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
i once converted an old Renault Master . i built my own units , bunks etc and canabalised an old dead caravan for the sink , taps and other plumbing bits . if you store your gas inside ( in a cupboard ) make sure you put a vent to the outside in that cupboard. or just make a box mounted on the outside of the rear door to put the cylinder in . hope it works out youll love it !!
ATB
Or you could put a hole underneath the van with a grommet it the hole and keep the gas bottle outside and use a snap connector to connect the bottle quickly.
Just got to remember not to drive off with the gas bottle connected!
Not being an **** but remember that anything gas wise 'should' be connected by a corgi or whatever they call them now guy and probably should be certified for insurance purposes.
Or of course some would not bother with all that mlarkey.
D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
As has been posted, consider joining the SBMCC, and this, the Ford Transit Forum, which also has a camper van conversion section (which is excellent).

This is also worth a view, as is this.

Spend £15 and buy this very good book, you'll find it well worth the cost!
happy0034.gif

book3.jpg

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i went and got the details for this van today it is a ford transit 190d lwb, 2496 cc. it has only covered 52000 miles and she seems to be in great nick as it is kept in a lockup at night and only used occassionaly .is this a good model of transit and condition.

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
there are plenty of caravan breakers out there for parts. Think about a fix transverse bed with storage under. Shame you are so far away have a few bits knockinh around here.
I also have a 1971 tax exempt transit CI motorhome, I fitted a modern 2.5di just needs finishing now but basically all there all appliences work etc. silly give away price of £750 to get it out of the way, no offers or exchanges just cash.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
i went and got the details for this van today it is a ford transit 190d lwb, 2496 cc. it has only covered 52000 miles and she seems to be in great nick as it is kept in a lockup at night and only used occassionaly .is this a good model of transit and condition.

Gill, I posted the link to the Official Ford Transit Forum, which, like this one is a great place.

There's guys on the Ford Transit Forum that can tell you the complete production spec of your Transit and will help to guide, advise and encourage you, it'll only happen though...... If you ask 'em!

The only way to make an informed decision, is by being informed, so click, join, and ask........ Before you spend money!

The seller may be a Ford Forum member, or be known, or perhaps the van's history is known.

Lotta knowledge on that site!

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE