Any use? - silica gel sachets...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi all,

I am unpacking some computer gear and in each box is a couple of sachets of silica gel.

I'm thinking maybe throw a couple in with kit stored over winter? Whatever.

If anyone can use them I will send you some gratis.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Matt, if they are the tichy tiny little ones, about an inch by an inch you can put them at the bottom of 35mm film containers to prevent moisture when storing matches or tinder.

Remember though folks, silica gel must be re-activated by warming thru in a warm [not hot] oven. I have the silica gel in the oven to re-activate and then pack and seal film containers or tins working with my hands and all the components in the oven - as soon as you move silica gel into a normal atmosphere it starts soaking up moisture, whereas keeping it in an oven inhibits the process.

PS. You can get bag loads of free 35mm film containers at most foto processors, I get mine at Tesco.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Matt, if they are the tichy tiny little ones, about an inch by an inch you can put them at the bottom of 35mm film containers to prevent moisture when storing matches or tinder.

Remember though folks, silica gel must be re-activated by warming thru in a warm [not hot] oven. I have the silica gel in the oven to re-activate and then pack and seal film containers or tins working with my hands and all the components in the oven - as soon as you move silica gel into a normal atmosphere it starts soaking up moisture, whereas keeping it in an oven inhibits the process.

PS. You can get bag loads of free 35mm film containers at most foto processors, I get mine at Tesco.

IIRC you can't properly reactivate the type that comes in the little sachets. By the time it reaches you most of its moisture absorbing capacity has been used up.

The type that you can reactivate is blue when it is dried out and pink when it has absorbed all the moisture it can. You reactivate it by spreading it out in a clean dry baking tray and SLOWLY dry it in a warm oven (kind of like making jerky :) ). You can dry it in a microwave to by putting it on a low setting but the oven is better. If you overheat it the little balls of gel break and/or burn.

I used to use loads of this stuff when I lived in the tropics. If you look after it properly it lasts forever.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
tend to leave them on the dash board of the firms van the screen heater in the mornings and what sunlight there is does the trick

feisty

Sep 2, 2007
I keep mine in my garden seeds storage container, try to keep seeds dry as possible to maintain their viability.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE