Any tips to Bow drill with a rebuilt shoulder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
I washed my hands five years ago and my right shoulder went into involantary dislocation. 8 hour s of op later and i can use it to a fashion ( i am right handed ) its now shorter than my left and i have less moveabilty than most!
I can bowdrill but i then have to hang from a tree to straighten it out after!
any length of abuse or diffcuilty then it just packs in?
any tips to ease the use?
by the way no i can't use my left arm i have tried and tried.
any tips would be gratefully accepted.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
i haven't got much special to say i'm afraid, but with practice, not only will your technique improve, but your arm will get stronger too. I'm sure that's what you're doing though!

hopefully someone will have decent advice.

edit: although, a longer bow makes it easier for the bowing arm, if it's tight enough, and the wood is rigid.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Lots of tablets afterwards! Or use a lighter :)
I sympathise mate, in the same boat with my shoulder. OK most of the time until I do any heavy(ish) work or stretching, then I can't move my arm for a week :( Climbing and fire by friction are really difficult.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Scally said:
i usally use one measured from the tip of my nose to my out stretched arm and fingers ?
how much longer would you go?

hmm, actually that's quite long already, so not much longer, but it sounds like you want to try other methods which are better balanced.

I don't know how important it is to you but a pump drill would be difficult to manufacture in the field, and impossible in an emergency really, but by the looks of it pretty darn fun to use! If you get hold of some large diameter bamboo then the fire saw with that is a piece of p*** as far as i can tell from trying with smaller pieces, but again it's not very practical. the only other one i can think of which is fairly even on the upper body is the fire plough...but that is tough!! there is of course the hand drill but personally i find that very difficult, and very much so in comparison to the bow drill, and i can't imagine it going easy on the shoulders.

good luck with the pump drill :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE