Any tips on sharpening really long blades?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry for bringing up the longseax again but before I make a pigs ear of it does anyone have any tips with regards sharpening a 20 inch cutting edge. It's predominately flat with a curve back in the last 4 or 5 inches.

Once it's finished I will be using just using period natural whetstones ( got a small finishing stone from Scandinavia but need to score something coaser and bigger as well) but to set it up I'd like to do a good job, something pretty for the finished photo.

Anyway my tartiness aside, whats the best way to get a nice even edge on a long blade? I do have a Tormek-7 water wheel which does a lovely, scary, job on my carving, kitchen and outdoors knives but the arm you rest the guide on is no where long enough.

Thanks!

Tom

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Probably better with honing stones, taking the stone to the blade, rather than the blade to the stone as you do smaller knives. How hard is the blade? If its a bit softer than a standard bush blade then a good file should do the job.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! luckily I have picked up a lot of hones and sharpening gear over the years. The blade is made from EN45 and has been hardened as its pro made. Roughly what sort of angle should I be going from. I've read elsewhere that if I lay it flat I should be filing/ honing at 30 degrees, count the strokes and flip, 30 degrees again and keep going until its sharp then repeat with finer grades of stone. In the past i've rather overdone sharpening things like goloks and they have of course gone blunt or chipped fast in use.

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

PS the lad has ordered a 14 to 16 inch (we were vague to give the smith some leeway) 9/10th C English broken back seax but finished with ferule and handle this time with the money from his grandparents for his birthday. In theory i will only have to make a simple fold over sheath this time.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
NO. 30 degrees per side will give you a 60 degree total angle at the edge, You won't cut much with that. If you are gonna be chopping with it, go 40 (20/20) tops, if not, go 30 (15/15)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I thought it sounded iffy, thanks! I'll tape the blade and use the Gatco sharpening system I had buried away, if I move it along three times I should get a consistent edge angle. 20 degrees it is as it will definitely be used for chopping!

Thanks!

Tom

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably better with honing stones, taking the stone to the blade, rather than the blade to the stone as you do smaller knives. How hard is the blade? If its a bit softer than a standard bush blade then a good file should do the job.

My thoughts as well; same as sharpening a machete.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd use a puck, small circular motions and not over-think the edge angles. Just keep an eye on letting them get too steep or too shallow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE