Any tips for peeling chestnuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Carol being a veggie likes to make something different for herself at Chrimbo, she made a mushroom and chestnut wellington a couple of years ago but had a bit of a mare peeling the chestnuts.

We did the X cut on the flat side but then it was still tricky peeling them, has anyone tried cutting them in half and then boiling?

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Its easy Rich buy pre peeled and cooked ones that are vacuum packed.... all the big supermarkets do them

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
But if you have to.. roast them first for a short time without cutting the shell.. they kind of steam it there shells and are easy to peel then just boil.... but be carefull peeling them they get really hot

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Can't beat teeth for peeling chesnuts, raw or cooked.:) sweet chesnuts can also be peeled by cutting off the pointy end then slipping down a thin blade twixt shell "n" nut & turning it splitting the shell, then just peel off. SAK blades are great.

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
fasten them in a freezer bag when they come out of the oven, I read it the other day and tried it. They were easy to peel but a bit sweaty compared to normal. Would be ace for cooking i suppose but I like 'em straight out of the shell.

EDIT: There's no need to use your freezer bag cozy. LOL

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Def the way to go.....I managed (somehow) to split the skin between my nail and thumb last year with my enthusiasm to peel the chestnuts, this year I got tinned prepped ones from Aldi....and i'm just boiling the sprouts in readiness for them tomorrow.......Mmmmmmm :)

Its easy Rich buy pre peeled and cooked ones that are vacuum packed.... all the big supermarkets do them

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I did say that Robbi but she said they had to be boiled for some reason? Shame really as they smell great when roasting

Same principle as roasting peppers or tomatoes, get rid of the skin but retain the moisture and goodness. Why does she wanna boil 'em Rich? Mention the peppers thing

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sharp heavy knife and a decent bread board. Cut the chestnuts in half straight down the middle (lay them flat side down to do it). Put them into a pyrex casserole dish with a couple of teaspoonsful of water and put the lid on. Put them into the microwave on full for two minutes. Shake them around and leave them alone to cool down a bit. Have a look see and try poking the nut bit with a knife to see if they're as cooked as you like. If not, just put them back in again. Shells slip off with a coffee spoon (small sized teaspoon) no bother at all, since they flex and free when they've been steamed a bit. I admit that I sometimes give them longer, but I like them as cooked nuts and really, really, don't like them 'creamed'.
This way they can be quickly pan roasted in a little seasoned melted butter before they're added to the sprouts too.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just done them :)

Chopped them all in half, brought to the boil and simmered for ten minutes. Some squeezed out easily and some needed some persuasion with a knife. Shells are off but I've left Carol to peel the thin skins off and I don't have any fingernails.

I think the problem last we did it was she only scored the shells rather than actually cutting through a bit. All sorted now though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I cut in half whilst still in the shell, then put them on the hot glass hob, or on a plate in the hot oven for a short while. Seconds to a couple of minutes. The 'hairy skin' just cracks and peels straight off leaving the raw chestnut to cook anyway you see fit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE