Any Texan members?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
My GF and I are marrying next year and have more or less decided (funds permitting) to honeymoon in Texas. We'll be going in July.

From a personal recommendation and a little bit of research the Texas Hill Country looks a likely destination. I was hoping that any Texan members or anyone who knows Texas, could recommend any "must-sees/dos", or indeed any other areas we should perhaps consider.

Thanks.
Mark & Emily

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm not a texan, but went to Texas(San Antonio area & Houston) in 2008, with my wife, we had an excelent time, and found everyone to be very friendly.

Congratulations to you both.

Rob

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well congrats from me too! The trouble with the USA is that it's so BIG! I'm not a Texan but I've worked there. Texas alone is three times the size of Great Britain. It has an extremely diverse landscape, geology and climate. I'd say don't try to take in too much because if you do you'll spend the whole time on the move and you'll be exhausted by the end of it. Trips to the USA aren't all that expensive so you could plan to do a little bit at a time and make it a life's work if you wanted to. Watch out for the weather, sometimes it can be dangerous. July is at the beginning of the hurricane season. Even when it isn't at its extremes there are places where you really can't go out in the (sometimes very humid) summer heat unless you're well acclimatized, so you'll spend the whole time hiding in an air-conditioned bubble. Obviously the higher areas will be cooler. Check the weather averages on the Internet. There is a vast amount of information out there for the taking.

Being up in the mountains in July should be idyllic. Enjoy!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I might know someone :rolleyes:

First of all congratulations on the forthcoming wedding :D

As Woof said San Antonio is a great place to go. In particular the River walk and the Mexican market are great places to wander around. And of course there's the Alamo which is totally free to visit and they have regular guided tours to tell you all about the seige and what happened afterwards.

Austin is also a good venue to visit. It has a vibrant music scene and some great museums. The Bob Bullock museum is a must if you want to learn about the history of Texas and make sure you go to the highest balcony there to look at the floor in the entrance hall. Also, make sure you take in the bats on Congress Bridge in Austin. 1.5 million bats rushing out to feed at dusk is something to be seen for sure :) There's lots of cruises that do a dinner on the river combined with this spectacle.

If you want a nice beachy place to wander then Galveston is your place to go :)

Hope that gives you a few ideas to start with

If you want more info drop me a PM & I'll ask my brother who lives just outside Austin

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE