Any Shotgun Experts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yep, I'd start by looking for the proof marks and date stamps. It might be too old for an accurate date stamp.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thanks Swotty; that would suggest pre- 1896 when they became Webley & Scott.

The only proof marks I can find is the crown and V on it's own which I understood to be a provisional proof mark. I've found a table of Birmingham and London proof marks and any proof without the "12" is pre 1855 which is older than I was expecting.

I shall keep delving :) - thanks for your thoughts so far.

I don't think I'll be putting any cartridges through it!

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Thanks Swotty; that would suggest pre- 1896 when they became Webley & Scott.

The only proof marks I can find is the crown and V on it's own which I understood to be a provisional proof mark. I've found a table of Birmingham and London proof marks and any proof without the "12" is pre 1855 which is older than I was expecting.

I shall keep delving :) - thanks for your thoughts so far.

I don't think I'll be putting any cartridges through it!
Re firing, i believe they can be re proofed but not sure if the cost is prohibitive

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
It’s gonna likely be 1800’s pre Webley and Scott
W&s have a date your gun service.

Failing that I would email them direct. That would be my first call.
What gauge is it?
Has it been re-proofed?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It’s gonna likely be 1800’s pre Webley and Scott
W&s have a date your gun service.

Failing that I would email them direct. That would be my first call.
What gauge is it?
Has it been re-proofed?

Thanks for that link - I'll chase it through.
it's 12 gauge and hasn't been re-proofed.

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I've had a look; not too pricey to be honest (sub £50) but it's potentially a destructive process (i.e. if it fails it could split the barrels) :(
I've had a look; not too pricey to be honest (sub £50) but it's potentially a destructive process (i.e. if it fails it could split the barrels) :(
If it holds sentimental value there may be a process to establish the likelihood of catastrophic failure? Would be nice to keep it fully operational

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I agree; I'll dig deeper. I think they do an inspection first and advise likely failure or not.

I do not (yet) have any sentimental attachment to it; it's just s lovely old gun (well, it will be with a little cleaning and gentle refurb).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red maybe your guy. Nice catch
I'll be happy to offer what insights I can if you are able to DM me ages of the proof marks, serial number and any rib engraving etc.

Initial thoughts & concerns are that it may well be only chambered & proofed for black powder short loads - potentially 2 1/2" or shorter low pressure loads. It's a lovely thing & appropriate cartridges will be available or loadable, but it's likely not up to a modern high pressure cartridge

Reactions: The Frightful

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

Yes, it can be. However, a good gunsmith who is used to working on such guns should be able to advise if it's likely to pass. They should also be able to advise if it is in a reasonable condition to shoot black powder as it is.

Funnily enough I bumped into someone who refurbs old shotguns down here. I expect there's someone similar round your way but I don't know how you find them. You could ask on one of the shooting forums.

Dare I ask where you found the gun?

Reactions: The Frightful

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Yes, it can be. However, a good gunsmith who is used to working on such guns should be able to advise if it's likely to pass. They should also be able to advise if it is in a reasonable condition to shoot black powder as it is.

Funnily enough I bumped into someone who refurbs old shotguns down here. I expect there's someone similar round your way but I don't know how you find them. You could ask on one of the shooting forums.

Hopefully not on the pavement outside Barclays!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Hopefully not on the pavement outside Barclays!

:) - no. An old farmer neighbour has decided he no longer wants the bother of holding a shotgun certificate. He had this one, that hasn't been used for a long time and has been in his family for as long as he can remember, and a modern(ish) Baikal. He categorically does not want to keep it for sentimental reasons - I offered to get it decommissioned for him but he has no interest in keeping it (thankfully as it would be a shame really).

He gets really stressed and worried about these sorts of things so I'm sorting his ticket and the transfer letters. And, no, I'm not taking advantage of him (that's not in my moral code). I'll get the guns valued and, if the Webley is affordable, I'll pay him for it. The Baikal is worth less than £100 and I'll move that on.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'll be happy to offer what insights I can if you are able to DM me ages of the proof marks, serial number and any rib engraving etc.

Initial thoughts & concerns are that it may well be only chambered & proofed for black powder short loads - potentially 2 1/2" or shorter low pressure loads. It's a lovely thing & appropriate cartridges will be available or loadable, but it's likely not up to a modern high pressure cartridge

Thanks BR, I'll get as much info off it as I can.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
On the reproofing front, I have an 1890s damascus double barrelled 10 bore that I sent for nitro proof a few years back, it past and its still used. That was another ex farmers gun, he had been using it with black powder carts to shoot rabbits.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On the reproofing front, I have an 1890s damascus double barrelled 10 bore that I sent for nitro proof a few years back, it past and its still used. That was another ex farmers gun, he had been using it with black powder carts to shoot rabbits.
Bunnies with a 10 bore? Wow

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE