Any place to practice survival skills near Edinburgh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,
I am both new to this site and fairly new to Scotland. I am from North Georgia/South Tennessee and I would like to practice my survival skills while in Britain—fire-making, shelter building, etc. Is there any place near Edinburgh where I can practice this art, and do I need any special permissions/licensing? Thanks!
Blessings,
Survivalkraft

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

The shelter building's the issue.....you need the landowners permission to cut down and use his timber.

Otherwise, respect curtilege, farmland, SSSi's, scheduled ancient monuments & their environs, and plantations, and the right to responsible access allows for the the rest :)

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/Countryside/16328

I don't know Edinburgh well, a few parks and the like that I've worked in, but there are other folks around who do; bound to be someone along to comment :)

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Lots of woods and forests still have lots of trees down from the Jan storm last year. So plenty of dead fallen wood to build shelters with. Park up at Hopetoun House, north west of Edinburgh, then hike along the coast path or park at Blackness, then head along the coatal path SE. Lots of driftwood along the beach there to build with. light your small fire along the beach below high tide line.

Last edited:

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Plenty of places near Edinburgh that you can mess about in :). There are a few wooded areas near Penicuik although they are frequented by dog walkers etc. Travelling a bit further afield would help with this. If you need some locations drop me a PM although the places i know are a bit further away from Edinburgh so depends on how much travelling you are willing to do. Shelter building would be limited to dead wood however as already said.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Although accessable, some parts of the Pentlands are pretty quiet. You will work out as you journey through, which bits are farmed and which bits quieter. No options for fires or shelter building but lots of hideaway bits.

Jimmy.S.

Nov 25, 2012
Edinburgh
Hello,
A few places round about that could be quite good provided you seak out a spot hidden off track, are corstorphine wood and the woods beside craigmillar castle. Plenty of dead fall, ideal for debris/ stealth shelters.
The Pentland hills are definitely a good place to go, as above, there are plenty out the way type spots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE