Any of you Brits raise Giant African Snails?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I've been seeing them in the West Indies, where they were accidentally introduced a few years ago, and have multiplied at a remarkable rate.

I ate some of them in East Africa many years ago. They were delicious. Think escargot STEAKS. When I mention that, though, I get looks of disgust. They don't realize the blessing-in-disguise they've received.

I did a little Googling, and found that they are popular pets in the UK, with folks doing all kinds of creative things to dispose of excess eggs - crushing, freezing, burning. Why not let them hatch and fatten them up for a few months?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We had a couple for the kids. They reproduce at a scary rate. They would take a while to reach snail-steak size though.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Used to sort of have some they grew pretty big though not huge, and once some did not wake up after winter the others then grew larger. Also saw one at london zoo once and my photo was stolen off my flickr for some website on them, was kind of flattered.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
had a chance to a few years back. one of my old teachers had a couple in his classroom (in a tank, not just loose) and they mulitplied, so he offered the young snails to any kid that wanted to give them a home.
but my parents wouldn't let me at the time.

I wonder what a group of new-born snails is called? a litter (like cats)? a squelch?

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
My friends have a breeding pair that recently laid 300 eggs. That would have been a lot of snails if the numbers hadn't been controlled.

Rat

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Back in the early 80s, I was out in Port Elizabeth after a few weeks working in Paris. First meal, I ordered a half-dozen snails as a starter, having got quite fond of them in Paris. Couldn't understand the strange looks from the waiter. And then they arrived - half a pound of meat in each one............

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Ive had giant water snails before, but i couldnt control the population - i bought one and the next time i looked i had 36! Didnt realise they're hermaphrodites....had to get rid of them sadly.....didnt try eating them though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE