Any of the leatherworkers up for making something like this ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That is nice. Couldnt be too tricky with the right pattern bit like a fishing wallet.

Personally I'd go for a heavy cotton and leather mix. Leather outer, trim and structural bits. Cotten lined and pocketed. Then you can stick pins and needles in the cotton as a temporary holder?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cotton gets damp and stays wet, the wool takes any wax or lanolin that you like to add and keeps the needles and tools in good order though. Things don't rust so easily, iimmc.

atb,
M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cotton gets damp and stays wet, the wool takes any wax or lanolin that you like to add and keeps the needles and tools in good order though. Things don't rust so easily, iimmc.

atb,
M

I know nothing of these things. :D

If you could draw me a pattern I can make one up for you. I have some luxury cordoruy leather that would be perfect.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh that's expensive stuff to play around with.
Tell you what though; if I suss out a pattern, and we figure out the bobbin holder bit, and I send you that, the wool, needles, etc., somewhere I have some goatskin leather and some thicker pigskin stuff ( need to burrow through boxes :sigh:) would you be up for giving this a go, Mike ?

I know of another design, a bit like a shoe polishing kit, with the half sewn round ends, where everything rolls up and into that and is buckled closed too.

Either way, I'll do some sketching :)

atb,
M

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Its quite an simple design, but the bobbin holder is a bit of a puzzle for me without seeing it without the bobbin's.
I think pigskin (or other soft but strong leather) would be ideal.
Not sure about the rest, but I love multi textures, cotton or suede mix with leather would be very nice if the colours are right.

Good luck on your project! Should be an interesting one.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Oh that's expensive stuff to play around with.
Tell you what though; if I suss out a pattern, and we figure out the bobbin holder bit, and I send you that, the wool, needles, etc., somewhere I have some goatskin leather and some thicker pigskin stuff ( need to burrow through boxes :sigh:) would you be up for giving this a go, Mike ?

I know of another design, a bit like a shoe polishing kit, with the half sewn round ends, where everything rolls up and into that and is buckled closed too.

Either way, I'll do some sketching :)

atb,
M

Certainly would, I owe you a favour! THe bobbin bit looks like a brass rod through some simple flaps - works in a similar way to sam browns? I think I could do something with some dowel that'd do the same job.

Cheers

Mike

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There is a lot of wasted space, but the older style tube core wound ones I was thinking of using aren't so bad. Thing is though that the bobbins sitting like that give a kind of stability to the piece and stop things like needles getting bend or knocked through the fabric into the rest of your kit.
I think I'd rather keep it to the size of two bobbins though, natural coloured linen and OD perhaps ? and use the little pockets to hold the flat plastic bobbins used for embroidery threads to hold a few other colours and perhaps 30 m of artificial sinew or the like.
Tools wise, a nailfile's handy, so's an awl, and a sailmaker's need and a threading tool.

cheers,
M

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
That would be a nice interesting project though, as I find with new designs and I'm sure you are well aware, you take a long time to get the first one right so it may not be economic, except as a loss-leader for more of the same.

Main issue would be the bobbin holder, which seems to be a brass holder with a threaded 'axle' up the middle, so they will spin as the thread is pulled off.

Pig, goat, or thin kip, might suit.

With the amount of detail and stitching, if it is hand stitched, there's going to be a fair few hours of work in that. However, it would be very interesting. Looks like the sort of thing Mr Dreadhead would be suited for, if he wasn't away, but if you aren't in a hurry (I've got a lot on at present) please drop me a PM. Some examples of my work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Old-Leather-Works/182451398567540.

Whoever does it, I'd be interested in seeing the final result.

Geoff :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you think that we could use meccano to make the bobbin holder bit ? Maybe with a wingnut on the end to hold it all secure? The base strip could then be riveted onto the leather. Copper or brass would be nice :) and we can buy individual meccano pieces so that if someone did want to run with the idea and add it to their portfolio pieces then it could be repeatable.

I've just minded; I still have some of the beautiful screw on buttons from Mark Stotesbury :D
Where's my drawing pad ........

:D

M

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just wonder if a jailors keyring (hinged one side, and threaded connection on the other) would work if could bend it into a rectangular.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a harness maker's roll which I got from my father and it was old then; I've used it for years for running repairs and making-up bespoke harness patterns, but I won't be able to get to it for a couple of days or so to post a picture. The very best ones were made from horsehide and lined with semi-felted wool, and the not so expensive model was goatskin with the same lining; the felt takes on a good bit of beeswax over the run of time and so does the hide outer, and this keeps the whole lot waterproof and I've never seen anythig rust inside one of these. The main difference between mine and the one under discussion is that we never used linen thread from a reel, it was always wound onto a flat piece of bone, shaped and decorated a la scrimshaw, saves a lot of space and means the roll can be kept a bit less bulky. The needles were always kept in needle cases made from shotgun cartridges covered in leather and capped with the brass end of another cartridge, or brass shells for those who could get them in large enough sizes. These were then held under flat strong elastic stitched to the inside of the roll, as were the various fids, hooks, scissors and awls............I'll get a pic of mine up here when I can get to it.

This may not be of much use, but perhaps of some interest.......................................atb mac

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I wouldn't mind to make you something like that for you Mary
but I think it might be more beneficial to you to find a UK maker.
Plus I would have to hand sew the entire darned thing, not that I mind, but someone owning a machine would do it in a quarter of the time
Yours sincerely Ruud

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wow :D, so many good ideas :cool: and kind offers too :thankyou: :)

To be honest, a repair kit is a blooming useful thing to have to hand. One that's to hand when needed when out, or to do any work on heavy outdoor kit, is a blessing.

I like the idea of seeing what folks come up with for this :) I like the practical aspects; that folks make possibles pouches, but repair kits (hussifs really, I suppose) too should be a part of things.

I make hand sewn etuis; they're very pretty, full of fancy sewing notions and tools like silver thimbles and suchlike, but they're not robust enough to be shoved in a rucsack, nor will they stay dry enough (cotton and silk) to protect metal from the damp. However, some of the ideas of the construction are useful. Like heavy cord elastic sewn into button loops and threaded through bobbins, wool pages for needles, or sewing plaits of multi-coloured pre cut lengths of useful threads.

I think we have a consideration about this, and we chip in with good ideas as they come to us.

I would like,
at least one reel of strong linen thread.
Flat bobbins (they come in plastic now) with a couple of other useful threads, like artificial sinew and heavyweight nylon.
A plait of assorted threads for repairing clothing, buttons, etc.,
Decent needles, and some heavy weight ones that will do for leather or canvas.
An awl ( my sewing ones are called stilettos).
A threading tool (bodkin).
A pocket to take a mini plastic press close bag for buttons and safety pins.
A thimble and a leather pull through for stubborn needles/fabrics.
A small pair of decent scissors.
A small bit of beeswax.

I think that's it really.
Anyone else ?

I still like the roll up bobbin type one, but Robbi's fishing wallet looks excellently useful and practical, and it'd slip in a side pouch no bother at all.

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE