Any mechanics among us ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Cold weather reduces the capacity of all batteries - so if you have one that is marginal, the cold weather will make it worse.

i changed the battery with a brand new one and tested it ,so its good and will start the van every morning the weather has been mild then when the frost comes it wont ,and it starts again when mild without touching it.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yeah, you only changed one of your batteries though. Because they are connected in parallel, the maximum output of the pair is the same as the weakest battery. So on a cold day your brand new battery should have 13volts, but your other old knackered one is only putting out for instance 8volts. So total voltage flowing to your starter will be the same 8volts - so the van wont start. I did tell you to change both batteries together...

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Was it tested by the same person who said both batteries were "spot on" when one of them was well and truly rogered? How was it tested?

Disconnect your old battery and remove it from the engine bay, now connect your new one in by itself, don't worry about the extra connectors - just make sure they're not shorting out on anything. Now try starting it - my suspicions are that it will start fine, in which case you need another new battery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE