Any Knappers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've been reading a fair bit on the mesolithic of late and was wondering if there are any knappers out there who make microliths?
I'd also be interested if anyone could recommend any good books on the subject.
Thanks!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Whittaker's Flintknapping is the classic text -- both for historical context and practical methodologies. It covers most aspects of stone and glass flaking. I've tried my hand at it a bit and still do every now and again, but it seems I'm more at home with a hammer than a hammerstone.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got that book (along with a few others) but none go into great detail about microliths. I also don't live in a flint area which makes it hard to practice (I have to raid car parks:D )
Even the on-line guys making flint tools for sale don't tend to sell microliths - I guess they are too small or unimpressive.

As I said before, can any of the archaeologist types/enthusiasts point me towards any good books on the period? (Rather than knapping, sorry for not being clear :eek: )

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I think Francis Pryors book, britain BC goes into the mesolithic and flint scatters, including microliths. Some good texts to look out for are by the Hampshire field club.
Because of the amount of archaeology round this way they are always finding flint tools and as such are always studied and recorded in minute detail. Often these books are available on ebay. Likewise other periodical archaeological journals are available from other digs from across the country, a very usefull resource for looking at microliths.

Its a shame that your not closer.

Where i live, Winchester, has sh1t loads of flint scatter.
You cant help but find flint tools or evidence of knapping, loads of debitage and if your lucky some real gems like barbed and tanged arrowheads. I have tubs full of bits and pieces that i've found over the years. I think many microliths are overlooked, not just because of size but because they dont look like your really well worked lithics.

Two other good books i have on flint in general are, Stone tools and society by Mark Edmonds and Prehistoric flintwork by Chris Butler. I find the American authors are kind of dry talking in their books.

Try emailing John Lord if there are any specific questions you have about flint or microliths.
In my opinion he is the best knapper in the world :) A real nice bloke who im sure is a reincarnation of a prehistoric hunter.

http://flintknapping.co.uk/

I've waffled enough! Flint is a real passion of mine :)

Andy >>>>>--------------------------------------<>

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got Britain BC somewhere - it is a nice book. Also one called "after the ice" which is half story half archaeology.
I've added the Edmonds and Butler books to the wish list too:) any excuse for more books.
It's a pity I can't get on any knapping courses here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE