Any ideas on what it was?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I had a lovely walk today around Glendevon Reservoirs, excellent but wet day seen a hawk make a kill, a heron doing his thing(around the fishery!) and I don't know what else I saw. It was ferretlike completely white and fast, which is why I don't have a picture of it. Is there ferrets wild in the north Fife area or could it have been something more exotic?

I had a lovely walk today around Glendevon Reservoirs, excellent but wet day seen a hawk make a kill, a heron doing his thing(around the fishery!) and I don't know what else I saw. It was ferretlike completely white and fast, which is why I don't have a picture of it. Is there ferrets wild in the north Fife area or could it have been something more exotic?

It will be a stoat, there are plenty up there, I know the area very very well. Good for lizards in the summer too!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Ah right thanks for that chum I'll have to keep my eye out for more and for lizards. What size are the lizards? Are we talking Gecko type thing?

blodyntatws

Jan 9, 2009
North Wales
Definately sounds like a stoat to me. They are a member of the same family as weasels, polecats, ferrets, otters and badgers, the family name is Mustelidae. In the summer its coat will be a browny colour, it is during the winter that they become white when incidently they are known as ermine and they coats can be quite prized.
Got me on a subject I like, used to keep 80 ferrets but none since we moved here. Would like a few again, so if anyone has kits in the north wales area in summer let me know, my son is desperate to have one again.

Best wishes Loz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE