Any Dutch Buckle users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Is anyone using Dutch Buckles with woopie slings to hang their hammock?

I got a couple of set in the group buy here sometime ago and just got round to pairing them up with suitable webbing.

Fist impressions were that they were very easy and effective to use. Was really pleased at the weight saving and they were solid in use.

However not so thrilled this morning to find that they have bent. I have a vague recollection of someone saying they had similar issue. Is there a weight limit for them, I don't see anything mentioned like that on Dutch's site?

Sent from a wood using my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
sorry i cannot help with the dutch clips i just use a webbing strap with a marlin spike hitch and nylon toggles can't get any simpler really hope you sort out your clips ,atb wayne

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
As mereside said, I just use a length of webbing with a loop tied in one end, wrap it round the tree and thread the end through the loop and tighten towards the tree. Not sure why buckles are needed ?

Marlin spike hitch with a bit of stick or similar ( I made some short oak dowels ) and you're done :)

Cheers, Paul

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using them for a while, mind if I ask how heavy you are Peter?

How was your suspension setup, anything out of the ordinary like trees too close or too far apart, anything like that? I've only used skinny Dynaglide on mine, I'm wondering if the extra bulk of Amsteel might have something to do with it, but then it would be common knowledge on HF for sure.

Get in touch with Dutch and see what he says, he'll see you right. Failing that just go to MSH and toggles.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Dutch clips and dutch buckles are actually different things, buckles replace the MSH and certainly look a neat method. I have some neat alloy "dowels", aka xx75 arrow shafts, but I became so good at losing them that they are now strangely peg shaped :(

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cant see the point in these clippy buckle things, tree strap used as stated above and a MSH, I use a bit of aluminium tube with a bit of string through a hole in the end and tie it to the free end so I Don't loose it.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I just take the free end of the tree strap webbing, push a bite (loop) up through a very light and small 4mm Maillon Rapide (or a bigger crab), flip it over an end of the Rapide and pull the Rapide down to tighten. The whoopie then gets put on and I obviously tighten it up before putting any load on it. The 4mm Rapides are rated at 850kg. This is effective, strong, simple to use and adjust, light and cheap. It provides a drip point for rain coming down the webbing. The Rapide is harder to lose than a spike, is useful for other things and you don't have to use a MSH or run a whoopie loop across a webbing knot.

I looked at the Dutch Buckles but couldn't justify the extra cost or see how they were better than a 4mm Rapide. They are Ti though!! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-MAILL...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=151092811489&

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Just heard back from Keith at Dutchware "Yes we have changed them since 2011. The position changes on the slots and a bit more in thickness has solved the issue." they are going to send me some new buckles FOC. Great guys :thanks:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE