Any courses available that cover hunting (with air rifle or shotgun) and cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm looking to do a 2-3 day intro to bushcraft but was specifically hoping to find a course that would teach me how to prepare my kill. Specifically rabbit if possible. I have a PCP air rifle which I am competent with on targets but would prefer to know that if I am going to kill something it will be eaten. I have no knowledge of how to prepare a kill so a full course from kill to eating would be great. Anyone know of any?

Thanks in advance, JD

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
no sorry mate, think you might struggle for that...

however i did a demo some time back, Joley made a you tube video of it, i cant remember what his YT user name is though, i will see if i can find the link for you....

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of any courses that will specifically take you out with your air rifle and allow you to shoot rabbits and prepare them for the pot but if you are new to hunting

with an air rifle it would be handy if you could get some permission(preferably written)from a farmer in your area or possibly go out with a friend/relative who may have some

experience and can teach you the ropes until you get a bit more confidence.

There are also many good tutorials on You -Tube (and this forum) on this subject and plenty of information regarding airgun shooting/hunting if you go to www.basc.org.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Woodland ways looks good but The BisonBushCraft one looks perfect. Definitely more of a countryside course than a bushcraft one but I think that and then a bushcrafts fundamentals course would be a great combination.

Thanks for the help, JD

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I'm looking to do a 2-3 day intro to bushcraft but was specifically hoping to find a course that would teach me how to prepare my kill. Specifically rabbit if possible. I have a PCP air rifle which I am competent with on targets but would prefer to know that if I am going to kill something it will be eaten. I have no knowledge of how to prepare a kill so a full course from kill to eating would be great. Anyone know of any?

Thanks in advance, JD

I can highly recommend these guys-
http://www.footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/
they are a great bunch of guys and will teach you all that you want and more! I've been down there a few times now. they mainly do survival based teaching but do bushcraft stuff to, but then how different is trapping a rabbit, prepping it and cooking it in both survival and bushcraft, exactly the same is the answer.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Lots of courses cover game prep and the theory of snareing and trapping, the only courses that I have done where you actually put the theory into practice was the Woodlore Journeyman when we were allowed to snare and fish and the Bison Countryman course when we snared, ferreted, and went lamping. We were also supplied and taught game prep on various game birds and pigeons, rabbit , hare and trout. If you want a full weekend of getting your game by a variety of methods and then prepping it then I would suggest the countrymans course. There is a fair ammount of bushcraft thrown in but the main point of the course is obtaining and prepping your catch.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I'm quite happy to answer questions on legal trapping, snaring and hunting, or if you're in the Manchester area (or prepared to travel) show you how to use approved traps, snares etc. for hunting. If anybody is interested, feel free to PM me.

Alan

I'm quite happy to answer questions on legal trapping, snaring and hunting, or if you're in the Manchester area (or prepared to travel) show you how to use approved traps, snares etc. for hunting. If anybody is interested, feel free to PM me.

Alan

That's a very generous offer but travel from Cambridge is a bit too far. Thank you though, JD

JD

Get in contact with Nick at Hunter Gather Cook

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/

Does a lot of what you mentioned, even recently put together a course for a vegetarian who had seen the light and wanted to shoot, butcher and prep different game.

I must declare that do occasionally help out on his courses. So if this is deemed as advertising mods please delete

Ash

That looks really good too - hell of a lot to fit in in 9 hours though. I wonder how they manage it all?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Jamm
We have a meet in Norfolk on the 10th Dec you are more than welcome, I am more than willing to show you how to set snares and if available (If I have any, skin rabbits etc) any will try my best to answer any questions you might have, if this of any help.

D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

Alan

That's the spirit. Top man.
I suspect this chap doesn't have any permissions to shoot on hence the willingness to part money to learn something that should be free knowledge. Can't anyone nearby offer up a day out on their permission?

That is indeed he case, thanks for he offer of the meet but I'm flying to the states that weekend for work. I'll find somewhere to go eventually but getting my own permission is unlikely as I don't think I can spend the time a permission deserves. If a Farmer is going to entrust his pest control to someone I think they need to reward that trust by performing a regular service.

Thanks everyone, JD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE