Any Carp Anglers on here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
As well as enjoying the outdoors and bushcrafty things, I've been a keen carp angler for nigh on 34 years. I now own my own carp fishery in northern France.
Recently after speaking with a mate and fellow carper inthe UK, I've switched the traditional bivvy/bedchair set up for a hammock and tarp. The usual gear weighs in at over 15kg for just the tent and bed.....my tarp and hammock weighs just 1.5kg!!!.
Ok admittedly, you need trees, at least one and/or vehicle access. With one tree and my 4x4 I can hang a hammock.
Anyone esle tried this option????
cheers
Gareth
PS: Check out my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002545151533

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Went fishing with a couple of carping mates a few weeks ago, was quite enjoying myself pulling out roach bream and perch, while they were looking on enviously as they haddn't had a bite :) I was having fun with the smaller fish that most people tend to ignore these days, but then the float shot under, the clutch on my reel was doing its job well as the line was being pulled off like I have never seen it before!

Trying to keep a long story short, after about half an hour, and with the 'help' of my mate's big net (mine was far too small for this fish!) I had landed my first carp :) 7 1/2lb on tackle that was not designed for fish of this size, and just a single maggot on the hook!

OK so that one was more luck than judgement, but does show that you don't need expensive gear to catch and land a carp :)

Since then, I have managed to get a second hand carp rod along with a bigger net, and will get a chance to use them on Sunday. Still taking my float rod for a bit of 'fun' while waiting for the big bite :)

As you might be able to tell, I am a little excited now at the prospect of another carp or two :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yes mate been a carp angler for 20 years. I have in the past on certain venues swapped the bed and bivvy for hammock and tarp. Get some odd looks until they try the hammock,then they love it.

One place i go to the owner has given me the go head to practice my bushcraft so can combine both my hobbies in one.

Right now im looking for some permissions to shoot my airguns, mainly pesr/vermin control. Would take the odd rabbit or woodie for the pot though.

garethw

Settler
As you might be able to tell, I am a little excited now at the prospect of another carp or two :)

Well done on you catch!! But Be careful!! once you get bitten its pretty addictive... you just want to catch more, bigger etc.. Before you know it you'll be coming over here to France and tackling the really big ones...
Tight Lines
Gareth

garethw

Settler
Yes mate been a carp angler for 20 years. I have in the past on certain venues swapped the bed and bivvy for hammock and tarp. Get some odd looks until they try the hammock,then they love it.

One place i go to the owner has given me the go head to practice my bushcraft so can combine both my hobbies in one.

Right now im looking for some permissions to shoot my airguns, mainly pesr/vermin control. Would take the odd rabbit or woodie for the pot though.

Its a good mate of mine Shaun harrison, whom you may know if you read the carp mags... he got me interested in the tarp/hammock thing. Now I've tried it I love it... but its not always easy to find pegs with trees... I just love the compcat gear load compared to the really heavy traditional kit....For a bit of fun I've started a facebook page: Hammock Carping.

cheers
Gareth

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Been carp fishing for the last 30 years and boy how it has changed !!!! love the idea of using a hammock never even thought of doing it but hey the simple ideas are the best

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I prefer going for big tench and perch but I do fish for carp every now and again. Wouldn't fancy sprinting to a bite alarm in the middle of the night from a hammock though - I could see that going literally A over T.

Feb 22, 2009
UK
I'm just getting back into it after 2 years of being in Australia.

I'm amazed how cheap fishing kit is now. Been looking at a 2 rod setup with baitrunners, pod and bit alarms for just under 60 notes posted. Been on eBay past week buying bits and bobs. Heavy float rod and reel for 30 quid.

If anyone lives near Melton Mowbray and fancies meeting up for a fish at Eye Kettleby, drop me a line eh? (so to speak).

garethw

Settler
I prefer going for big tench and perch but I do fish for carp every now and again. Wouldn't fancy sprinting to a bite alarm in the middle of the night from a hammock though - I could see that going literally A over T.

No sprinting, just swing your feet out and into the crocs... lean into the fish, he's hooked anyway... et voilà. I don't find it any harder than getting out of a bedchair, easier as I string them higher than my bedchair, which I've always found too low.
I do a fair bit of tenching too, we have loads of them and they go pretty big. I don't always fish all night but like most of here just like being out!!
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE