Any car mechanics/auto electricians on the forum?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Got a strange fault with a friend's 1.6 petrol auto Golf. First the battery died so we fitted a new one. All seemed well but the car tends to cut out after about five seconds. If you leave the ignition on for a minute before starting it will work perfectly with no cutting out. Any ideas?:confused:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had weird things happen after battery disconnection/replacement; it happened last year on a Fiat I had and I was advised to disconnect the battery, and then short the two leads from the car together ( isolated from touching anything else), and leave overnight. I was sceptical when I was given this advice but done a little reading and apparently it clears the ECU of thinking it has an electrical fault by "draining" the system of all power. When you reconnect the battery all's well.

I did it and everything was hunky-dory from then on, all the faults I had had were resolved and stayed so........It's easy to do and risk free so worth a try?

Oh and leave the ignition fully turned on whilst it's "draining".

Last edited:

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
When they next start the car they need to look at the dash warning light for a flashing car with a key as part of it. If it flashes when the car is started and the car cuts out it means the immobiliser is not seeing the small chip in the key and won't start. The light has to go out for the car to start properly. It a common fault on vag car that are a little older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE