Antler or horn buttons.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Folks,I am after some nice antler or horn buttons to replace the ( Cold! ) metal ones on my vintage Swedish wool army jacket.
Anyone on here I can approach before I look 'off site'!?
Looking for 9,about 3/4 inch.
Cheers.
Chris

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why not get a section of antler and make your own?

It's a simple process, slice into sections, rienforce the pith with superglue, when dry smooth down on sandpaper, then drill the holes and hey presto your very own buttons :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have some but they're a bit smaller than that. I'll dig them out if they'd do though.
Warthog1981 made the ones for his bushshirt from antler cut lengthwise so that it didn't have a weaker core. He said it took ages and I don't think he's up for doing it again if he can help it.

How about leather ? Maybe 2 or 3mm thick and hardened in hot beeswax ? They would work and they'd look good too :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Rustic wooden ones are quite easy as that size really just cut a branch into slices sand smooth drill some holes and your done.
I havel only made one button though and it was less than half an inch accross.
I would make antler buttons teh same way Toddy described as it how I made some SAK scales.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
A leather button, nice and easy to do!

Cut a circle of thick vegtan leather, (that one was 1/2"), cut another circle of thin leather about twice the diameter of the insert, punch some holes around the edge, sew with a longer thread than needed and then sew to your shirt. Quicker to do than to say!
DSCN1327.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've cut "lengthways" buttons from antler and they're Ok if you want square-ish buttons with rounded edges. If you want round ones, it's a LOT of filing/sanding. The square ones look quite cool, however.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
There is a section in Swedish carving techniques where Mr Sundqvist shows how to make traditional wooden buttons. Basically fashion the front face on the end of a stick. Then slice it off with a fine saw. Then drill and carefully ream the stitching holes.
Toggles are nice too. They could be antler, horn, wood, maybe even stone. Better than plastic any way.....

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The last time I made buttons I

1. drilled in 2-3 cm into the material (a juniper stick),
2. rounded the end,
3. cut it off (a fine toothed japanese saw makes a fairly smooth cut),
4. sanded the back,
5. rounded the edges of the hole with some fine sandpaper wrapped into a cone,
6. smooted the inside of the holes (or they'll eat the thread), and
7. finally dipped in BLO, and allowed to "dry".

Actually it only took a few minutes per button, even of there were many steps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE