Antler and Buffalo horn Crook knife or Mocotaugan by Sasquatch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ages back when Uncle Ray did his Northern Wilderness Series there was a Gentleman on here making the mocotaugan blades, i got myself one and handled it with a piece of applewood.
i wasn't really satisifed with my efforts as it was my first attempt.
So recently i took my hacksaw to it, gathered through this fine forum some Buffalo Horn and an Antler Tine.
then i got very scared and realised it was still beyond my skills or confidence.
chatting With Chad/Sasquatch about it at Rough Close he said he would be willing to have a go at handling it, a farntic call to Lady of Tanith to bring it with her on the saturday when she came up resulted in Chad going home with the assorted gubbins.
Yesterday this beauty!!! arrived at my house
crookknife.jpg

it is an absolute stunner, only played with it whittling down some fire wood into feathers but it feels marvellous in my hand and very cofortable.
Chad, the diamond chap that he is even sent me some specially shaped bits of leather loaded with stropping compound to maintain the edge.
I am so very very pleased with my new shiny toy and am really looking forward to taking it on my Bowyer course at the end of June.
just need to make a sheath for it now.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Glad you like it Sam, I can't wait to see what you make with it! I enjoyed doing this as it was my first one, I really need to make my own when I get through the pile of projects I have building up for other people as they do look handy. Had a quick play before posting it and it was way better than my Mora spoon knife by a country mile. There's so much more you can do with these things as they're not limited to just carving bowls...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hope you don't mind Sam but I've uploaded a few pics from my phone. They're far from clever but show a bit more detail;

Photo0369.jpg

You can see where the antler has been cut out for the tang and glued back in on this one. Not too pretty but it's nice and smooth in the hand so hopefully no hot spots!

Photo0367.jpg

Photo0371.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE