Antarctic/arctic kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ryback

Feb 9, 2009
Oslo, Norway
wilderbeast: If you want some serious answers you need to ask serious questions. List of kit makers for seriously cold weather is pretty much as vague as it is possible to be.

What kind of weather? What kind of activity?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got three good books on the subject (Paradise Below Zero, Winter Wise and Snow Walker's Companion).
If you're serious about this I'd very seriously recommend the third of these, great kit lists and recommendations.
If you're not so serious then use this method

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
wilderbeast: If you want some serious answers you need to ask serious questions. List of kit makers for seriously cold weather is pretty much as vague as it is possible to be.

What kind of weather? What kind of activity?

Antarctica, November 2010, South pole, 2 weeks.............enough??

ryback

Feb 9, 2009
Oslo, Norway
It's enough to know I don't have much to add as I have no knowledge of Antarctic climate. To me seriously cold is below 20, that's when I start considering cancelling my ski trips, to others it might be something else.

But still, knowing if you are staying in base camp or skiing to/from the pole might make a difference for those who do and are able to make educated suggestions.

Sorry if I came off as rude in my first post. I'm just trying to help.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im surprised no ones mentioned the Scott Polar Research Institute....

...or even The Inuit Circumpolar Conference...

H

He' s left the building

But still, knowing if you are staying in base camp or skiing to/from the pole might make a difference for those who do and are able to make educated suggestions.

You have a very good point, we should have all asked the original poster what his activity was as it has a direct bearing on subsequent clothing advice.

For strenuous activity, moisture (sweat) control is paramount to avoid wet clothing in these conditions: 'if you sweat, you die' is the mantra. Modern synthetics are also lighter in weight and have specific design features such as fitted/adjustable hoods, nose/goggle wipes on the back of mitts, etc.

For sedentary activities, traditional layers may be more appropriate and will prove to be more robust (ie furs and skins).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE