Another "sub zero" night with my dawn sliping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Last year I have purchased this sleeping bag from Cumulus (local brand with experience in design and manufacturing of clothing and sleeping gear for mountaineers).
phpThumb.php

All outdoor nights I spend so far in this sleeping bag were actually spent in either mountain shelters, or the huts. This season I have already tested it (successfully) in hammock, amd under the tarp, but temperatures were -4-5 below zero so far.
This weekend, I had opportunity to sleep in it with temperature below -10 ( min temperature registered was -12).
I slept under the small poncho, with termarest mat, and sleeping bag inside the bivibag. As additional insulation I used thin nrc sheet.
Here is the setup:
DSC04217.JPG

It proved to be excellent. Having the termarest and sleeping bag inside of the bivibag kept whole setup together. There was no chance to slide of the mat, on the cold ground.
The poncho stretched above the bivibag protected me from the falling snow.
I was wearing 2 layers (base layer, and lightweight fleece) and wool hat, and double socks. Whole nightI felt comfortably, warm and slept well.
This setup is really lightweight:
- sleepingbag - 1300g
- bivibag - 375g
- mat - THERM-A-REST PROLITE PLUS - 680g
- poncho - 450g.
I'm convinced now, that with this setup, and perhaps another layer of clothing I could easily sleep comfortably with temperature near -20C. And this is actually my next goal.
As soon, as the temperatures in Poland will get lower, I will run the test again.

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
liked the use of the snow as wind breaks at the end of your set up, just back from a weekend out in the woods and we used the snow to build to build a wall to reflect the heat of the fire.

To me that is what being outdoors is about, being comfortable with your immediate enviroment and using the resourses to hand that nature has given you, and by the look of you cool photos of your trip, you made the most of your enviroment.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, how cool is it that all round the world there are people just as mad as each other.

The looks i got from my neighbours when they seen my packing up the defender with my kit for a weekend away in the woods, you can just tell they think your completely bonkers,... :yikes:

Col....

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
liked the use of the snow as wind breaks at the end of your set up, just back from a weekend out in the woods and we used the snow to build to build a wall to reflect the heat of the fire.

To me that is what being outdoors is about, being comfortable with your immediate enviroment and using the resourses to hand that nature has given you, and by the look of you cool photos of your trip, you made the most of your enviroment.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, how cool is it that all round the world there are people just as mad as each other.

The looks i got from my neighbours when they seen my packing up the defender with my kit for a weekend away in the woods, you can just tell they think your completely bonkers,... :yikes:

Col....
not bonkers col just jelous jus like me ! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE