Another squirrel question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Is there a particular technique to skinning a squirrel? I tried it for the first time the other day and the little perisher did not want to lose his fir. I was pulling like anything to get the skin to come away from the flesh. Rabbit is so much easier.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Ben_Hillwalker said:
Is there a particular technique to skinning a squirrel? I tried it for the first time the other day and the little perisher did not want to lose his fir. I was pulling like anything to get the skin to come away from the flesh. Rabbit is so much easier.

Tease the skin with your fingers between the skin and flesh, as if you were taking the skin off an orange. (I know what I mean)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I think there are different types of red squirrel. Ours are pine squirrels and they also taste like turpentine. I do eat them year round as they are not a license game animal and can be taken at any time. Best eaten in a stew, they never really taste good, but they are edible.

We also have a red flying squirrel - quite large and tasty - but they are nocturnal and are seldom seen in day light.

To skin a squirrel - you have to do it immediatley. Cut off the feet, slit between the two rear legs and around the bung hole and tail, and pull the skin off the body in a tube. When the skin gets up to the head, cut off the head. It the body is still warm, it goes quickly. I then gut the squirrel. If you want to keep the skin for use as a bag, all you have to do is work the skin, and sew up one end of the tube. Being the skin is so thin, it doesn't really need to be tanned - unless you think it might get wet.

PG

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Our reds are pine squirrels as well and are protected because the numbers are so low. I will take the big greys in the fall when they are getting fat and ground squirrels, (no limit, no season) can be made to taste pretty good by the wife. The few I've eaten fresh, while on an extended deer/hog bow hunt, were a bit gamey, but still very edible.

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Hi Folks,

I'm having squirrel for supper tonight. They can be hard to skin. You need a sharp knife. Slit the skin from between the hind legs to the breastbone then slit the flesh to open the abdomen. Pinch out the intestine at the back end, pinch out again just forward of the kidneys and lift out the guts. Scoop out the stomach sack and remove the liver. (I eat rabbit offal but not squirrel). I usually do all this in the field and leave it for the foxes etc.

To skin, cut all four paws and the tail off with scissors or game shears and ease the back legs out of the skin starting in the slit you made to paunch it. Work the skin forward to the head and cut off.

Detail out around the anus being sure to remove the bladder etc.and remove any excess fat. Wipe off any stray hair.

Using scissors again, cut through the pelvis and ribcage and flatten the squirrel out "spreadeagled" or spatchcocked. This one weighed 14 ounces ready to cook. (397 grammes)

Season with salt and pepper and grill or cook on a stick over your fire.

They crisp up well being so fatty. The flavour is usually very good having the sweetness you would associate with lamb but with a gamier taste and texture a bit like rabbit.

Goes well with cauliflower cheese.

Caution! May contain nuts.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I skin it from the *** and wring it to make the skin come in one piece. That is red squirrel. Quite easy when you get the hang of it. Not tasted it yet, but I'll try next time. In Värmland in Sweden they used to fry their stommach, contents and all. It was considered a delicacy.

The saami used a peculiar way of catching them. They isolated the squirrel up in a tree and with a thin pole with a fork on it's end they quickly twisted it into the tail and swung it out of the tree. That way the fur wasn't harmed at all.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE