(Another) Solo Cook Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
With the intention of knocking off a few kilos of weight from my complete current set up I thought I'd firstly start with my cook set. My previous set up weighed 1.3kg and after a few calculations I've determined I can lose around 3kg by changing my cook set, sleeping bag and pack. Oh and by also spending more money on kit. :rolleyes:

All packed up...

image-4.jpg

And set up...

image-7.jpg

100g gas canister
Alpkit Kraku stove
Alpkit folding foon
Alpkit MiTiMug
Homemade pot cosy
Homemade windshield

Total weight is now 375g. With the pot cosy I hope to use way less fuel and easily make the small canister last over the course of 2/3 days.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice set up, I have a similar system for my lightweight kit. Pot cozy's really are a great idea. I also have a myticup as a second cooking vessel as it's nice to be able to brew up while your food is rehydrating.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Good thinking to bring the weight down. However,
that type of wind shield with a canister stove is dangerous. As it envelopes not only the flame, but also the canister itself. If used for any length of time in one burn, the canister will overheat because of reflected and retained heat. Then it is in great danger of exploding. The following is a suitable screen for a canister stove supplied by Primus. Read the safety page carefully. IMO DIY is to be encouraged, so see this video from Bob at Backpacking light. It shows a very effective screen type for alcohol stoves, which is also safe for canister stoves.

http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/product.aspx?ItemId=87476

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-make-a-clip-on-cone-windshield/

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Good thinking to bring the weight down. However,
that type of wind shield with a canister stove is dangerous. As it envelopes not only the flame, but also the canister itself. If used for any length of time in one burn, the canister will overheat because of reflected and retained heat. Then it is in great danger of exploding. The following is a suitable screen for a canister stove supplied by Primus. Read the safety page carefully. IMO DIY is to be encouraged, so see this video from Bob at Backpacking light. It shows a very effective screen type for alcohol stoves, which is also safe for canister stoves.

http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/product.aspx?ItemId=87476

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-make-a-clip-on-cone-windshield/

I do have the Primus windshield but wanted something even lighter and that would fit into the cooking pot which that one doesn't.

Interesting comment about the dangers of using the material as a windshield with gas canisters. This material was bought from Backpacking Light and actually shows a picture of it being used as a windshield with a gas canister. I couldn't find any info on their site regarding any risks.

I do like the look of the cone shaped shield though.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Nice set up, I have a similar system for my lightweight kit. Pot cozy's really are a great idea. I also have a myticup as a second cooking vessel as it's nice to be able to brew up while your food is rehydrating.

I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Sounds like a winner :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The danger is very real.If you have seen an overheated gas canister explode, you would not want to be anywhere near it when it happens. If you just use your stove to boil a couple of cups of water for a brew or to re-hydrate a meal, then you will (probably) get away with it. But if you really cook, simmering for extended periods, then I wouldn't want to be in the same camp if you used a fully enclosing wind shield. You can easily make a shield to go under the flame using a small aluminium foil pie plate with 4 slits to allow it to be lowered over the stands of the burner. That will also reflect heat up to your po timproving efficiency, safely. Google windshield canister stove and look at the images to see a good example from Zen Stoves.

BTW, if you really want to save weight, research alcohol stoves. My burner made from a soda can weighs 8 grams and my fuel bottle weighs 15 grams (a 100 ml spring water bottle) 50 grams of denatured alcohol (meths) is sufficient for a weekend hiking trip can't beat the price either:) DIY provides so many opportunities to stimulate your imagination, to say nothing of the (smug?) satisfaction of showing your fellow hikers/campersjust how "clver" you are.

I know Bob views this forum, and would welcome his comments.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
The danger is very real.If you have seen an overheated gas canister explode, you would not want to be anywhere near it when it happens. If you just use your stove to boil a couple of cups of water for a brew or to re-hydrate a meal, then you will (probably) get away with it. But if you really cook, simmering for extended periods, then I wouldn't want to be in the same camp if you used a fully enclosing wind shield. You can easily make a shield to go under the flame using a small aluminium foil pie plate with 4 slits to allow it to be lowered over the stands of the burner. That will also reflect heat up to your po timproving efficiency, safely. Google windshield canister stove and look at the images to see a good example from Zen Stoves.

BTW, if you really want to save weight, research alcohol stoves. My burner made from a soda can weighs 8 grams and my fuel bottle weighs 15 grams (a 100 ml spring water bottle) 50 grams of denatured alcohol (meths) is sufficient for a weekend hiking trip can't beat the price either:) DIY provides so many opportunities to stimulate your imagination, to say nothing of the (smug?) satisfaction of showing your fellow hikers/campersjust how "clver" you are.

I know Bob views this forum, and would welcome his comments.

Okay, maybe I should have been a little more specific with my description etc. The photo shows how I would use the windshield which wouldn't be wrapped around the canister giving it a tight fit. Basically as shown. If it truly is as dangerous as you say then I'm surprised that the sale picture on the website shows it being used with a gas canister and mentions no warnings. I intend to bring the required water to the boil, with a boil in the bag meal in the mug and then leave it in the pot cosy for ten mins or so. TBH I've very rarely ever used a small camping gas stove for any extended periods while cooking. If I needed to cook something that takes a while then I would have a fire going to cook on. If a fires not possible then I'd bring appropriate food that doesn't need extended periods of cooking time.

As as for using meths etc it's not for me. I'm not knocking them but each to their own and all that. Just not my cup of tea. That and hexi are two methods I just don't like using. Loosing pretty much a kilo by just swooping over my cook set is a saving I'm more than happy with :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I take a 250g frying pan with lid, a 200g remote feed stove, 150g windshield, and 350g gas cannister. plastic cup and cutlery totaling 900 almost 3 times yours, so I can see the benefit, and if I cut the gas down that would still be 750g , over twice yours.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The photo shows how I would use the windshield which wouldn't be wrapped around the canister giving it a tight fit.

A nice kit. I have a similar setp with the alpkit 750 too. If you use a windshield as in the photo you will get a terribly inefficient burn in anything other than still conditions. I subscribe to surrounding the pot completely with an appropriate gap to allow the heat to vent. Ive never blown a cart. I wouldnt use alu bubble wrap though. Its steel or Ti for me.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Looks great to me. The only thing I might add and it's only personal preference is a canister stand with the small canister diameter. http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Fuel-Canister-Stabilizer/

I didn't realise the Jetboil one folds in that way. That would be perfect as the primus stand I currently have doesn't fit in the pot and I was just going to go without. Something I don't normally do. I'd just like to find a UK supplier that sells it seperatly as well. The only one I've seen includes the pot stand as well and I don't want to spend £13 on both when I only need one. Cheers for that.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
A nice kit. I have a similar setp with the alpkit 750 too. If you use a windshield as in the photo you will get a terribly inefficient burn in anything other than still conditions. I subscribe to surrounding the pot completely with an appropriate gap to allow the heat to vent. Ive never blown a cart. I wouldnt use alu bubble wrap though. Its steel or Ti for me.

Oh OK, something to think about then.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
consider all items when trying to reduce weight, for instance one of those army issue water bottles that fits into a crusader mug weighs 220g, a sigg bottle weighs 160g, those plastic water bottles sold everywhere pre-filled with drinks weighs about 40g, a massive weight saving there. By the way your windshield is fine, just make sure it is high enough to actually 'shield', you want to shield the flame but in a cold wind having it high enough to shield the pot too is beneficial, a cold wind can drastically chill exposed sides of a pot, no need for expensive kit for a windshield i just use one of those aluminium foil roasting trays cut to size costing a mere £1 from poundshops.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Here's another piece about windscreen design. Note the simple, light "reflector" which vastly reduces the chance of the canister overheating.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/08/windscreens.html

It's a;; very well saying "dpn't worry about it". But there is a risk, and it can be reduced almost to zero, at zero cost, for about 10 grams of recycled material. The advice in the blog to monitor the temperature of your canister is obviously good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE