another seasoning question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all
i was lucky enough to recieve a complete cast iron cooking set from ronnie sunshines for christmas from SWMBO
as well as the dutch oven it included a griddle and a skillet. Both are made from cast iron as well do i need to season these in the same way i need to season the dutch oven?
here is the link for anyone who might have an idea of if i do or dont
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/4ltr-dutch-oven-bushcraft-camping-western-gift-p-1194.html
Thanks in advance
Sam

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spot on

I find the best seasoning to be animal fat. Bacon grease is good but lard works fine

Heat the iron before rubbing on animal fat so it melts on contact and bake very thin layers on

Don't let any seasoning pool or it goes sticky

Red

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
seasoning cast iron is a must it prevents rust and help make it non stick. a set opf pans like that sould last a life time. however be carefull not to over heat them (i mean realy hot though ie forget about them on the fire ) as they could crack and become useless.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red
another quick question,
would beef dripping work well?
Sam
Sure will - almost any fat works and most veg oils too. I find the thicker animal fats fill the "pores" in the steel better though. You are looking to achieve an almost "teflon" finish. An application of a detail sander to the steel before seasoning to get it as smooth as possible before you begin will pay dividends later

Red

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
the best stuff i found was an American product called Crisco,which i got off ebay,it is vegetable shortening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE