Another evolutionary wonder.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Interesting.

First the spider, now this. What i would like to know, is how long said species have been in this form. Is it a case of they have been like this a long time, just not noticed or discovered or are they new evoloutions?

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Mmmm I'd call it a rat tailed shrew. Unusual, but not a speckled hen lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
It could well be that these have existed for a while but have gone unnoticed due to their surroundings. I'm sure now a study will be conducted to learn more about them and try to find their behaviour and origins.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is indeed a fascinating discovery BUT!!!! I'm curious WHY they are attempting to classify it as a rodent considering that "gnawing" is part of the very definition? I suspect further study will result in a different classification.

Lifted directly from the dictionary: "Any of various mammals of the order Rodentia, such as a mouse, rat, squirrel, or beaver, characterized by large incisors adapted for gnawing or nibbling."

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Rat tailed shrew or shrew faced rat....only DNA tests will tell.
Usually missing teeth are a sign of 'primitive-ness' (if there is such a word ) in evolutionary terms rather than a leap forward, anteaters & pangolins are prime examples.
I wonder if the journalist that wrote the article has any in depth knowledge of either wildlife or evolution. :D

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm - not sure how this works in terms of evolution. Having the molars must have been detrimental to survival/breeding so that trait was bred out of the gene pool.

Not necessarily detrimental. Just less successful than not having molars - energy saved not making molars means more reproductive tissue, perhaps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE